We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon railroad

Level Contributor
583 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon railroad

Did you anyone ride the Grand Canyon Railroad?

How was it? Your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks much

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,287 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

The GCRR is an historic train that carries passengers from Williams AZ to the Grand Canyon NP at the South Rim. It covers a distance of roughly 60 miles in the high desert in about 2-3 hours. You will not see the Grand Canyon from the train. It is simply a transport option.

IMO it makes more sense to drive your own car, in less than half the time, and enjoy the convenience of having your own transportation while you are inside the park, be on your own schedule and save the money.

If you are into trains, it's something to do. If you are planning to visit the Grand Canyon, there are much better ways than the GCRR.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

We did the Rail trip on April 19 to 21 this year... we did a package... one night at the Hotel in Williams... get up in morning and take the train to the canyon, stay one night at lodge at Grand Canyon Village then take train back to Williams in the late afternoon and end with another night in Williams..

as the poster above says it is a slow trail... max speed is 40 mph due to the construction of the railbed and the fact that there are many free range cattle along the line..

Up until last year it was a steam train but that has changed...

Personally I enjoyed the relaxed ride... you get a chance to meet many other travellers.

Do not worry about getting arround the village there are busses runing very often... I happen to feel that they should ban cars completely....

Trying tio do it all in one day is way too short... allow youself atleast an overnight stay... The way that the canyon looks changes a lot over the day as the angle of the sun changes, so what you see in the morning looks very different at noon and different again at sunset..

oldsmar,fl
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

My wife and I rode the railroad to the Grand Canyon on Oct.3,2009.We read many reviews of this trip,both positive and negative.After taking the ride,we would NOT recommend it for the following reasons:the train ride is looong and sloow with little interesting scenery.The onboard "entertainment"is very lame.Get ready to be practically begged for tips.The time that you have at the Canyon is way to short to see much.If you decide to take the train,donot sign up for any extra tour.For the extra money we spent for this,we got a one hour tour with two brief stops with commentary by an uninformed driver!What I have said is accurate.DO yourself a big favor and spend the money to rent a car and have alot of time to enjoy the Grand Canyon!

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

Bravesfan.... did you go in and out on the same day....

if anyone is planning on doing that I would agree with your statement that renting a car and driving in is better

oldsmar,fl
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

Yes,we went back and forth on the same day.By the way,the purpose of my post was not to slam the railroad,but to just tell it like it was.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

I do not have a problem with your post... different strokes for different folks.

it is slow for sure, but we have done several "Tourist Trains' and enjoy them.

Must have been tough to try and see the canyon in such a short time

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

If you are an "old train buff" already, then you might find this trip very enjoyable. The Grand Canyon Railway features cars from the 30's through the 50's pulled by a 50's era diesel engine (the steamies were taken off line last year - too much $$ to maintain/operate).

However, since Williams, where it originates, is 60 miles due South of the Grand Canyon, that means you won't see the canyon until you get there. The scenery isn't much to write home about, mostly meadow, scrub, juniper forest, the remnants of a ghost town that you might miss if you blink. It gets pretty once you enter the Kaibab National Forest, though.

Once you get to the canyon you only have about 3.5 hours to explore, which is enough to give you a taste of it certainly, but what you'll see is only "the tip of the iceberg." Plus it's a slow trip - 2 hrs 15 minutes to make a journey that would only take 1 hour by car.

If your time is at a premium, meaning you only have 1 day to work with, I'd suggest taking your own vehicle up to the park. IF you have more time, you might consider the train if you're into them to begin with.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

We rode it one- way because my DH loves trains. We stayed over at Bright Angel Lodge, paid to take a park service shuttle van from Bright Angel to Williams. We ate breakfast and rode the train back. It was fun for a change.One-way was enough. We still had plenty of time to see the GC so that was not an issue.

9. Re: Grand Canyon railroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:18