We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route from Cameron to Kanab

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
route from Cameron to Kanab

We will be leaving the Grand Canyon Monday evening and right now are planning to stay the night at the Cameron Trading Post. We will head for Zion the next morning. It appears there are two Hwy 89's, one through Page and one through Marble Canyon. Which is the better route? We are then heading north back to WA state. Any other ideas?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,705 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route from Cameron to Kanab

I guess it depends on what you consider better. I love Page and Lake Powell. The route through Page is probably more desert like and via Marble Canyon will will go through some forests near Jacob Lake. Maybe a detour to the North Rim GC?

Both drives are about the same time.

Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: route from Cameron to Kanab

I would do Alt89.You can see Navajo Bridges,take a side trip to Lees Ferry,where all the GC multi-day raft trips start from,and visit the Lonely Dell Ranch.You will climb up to Jacob Lake,then head down to Fredonia,then Kanab.

From Kanab,you could visit Coral Pink Dunes,on the way to Zion.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route from Cameron to Kanab

If you aren't planning on spending any time at Page, then I would probably take the 89 alternate through Arizona.

They are both interesting in their own ways but going through Lee's Ferry and the Kaibab forest will add some different scenery to your trip. Be sure to stop to walk across the old bridge and take the side trip to Lee's Ferry to see the Colorado at river level.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: route from Cameron to Kanab

Just a thought. If you choose the one through Jacob Lake where there is a forest service campground, it is a fair slug up and then down the other side. If I were doing it I would take the other route. Don't know just how far you travel each day but there is a nice Forest Service Campground on the road into Bryce. No hookups but nice RED Rocks. I think it is just called Red Canyon. Never been full when I have stayed there.

5. Re: route from Cameron to Kanab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 04:33