We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booked thunderbird need help with GC

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
booked thunderbird need help with GC

Ok I am driving from sedona to GC. I hope to eat breakfast and head out. We are booked one night at thunderbird. I want to see sunrise and sunset and do a hike nothing too hard and see the sights. I am coming in Oct, I understand the shuttle service does not run then. I need help to plan my time. I am then heading to phoenix the next day. Where to eat dinner? I do not need fancy unless it is really worth it. Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

October is a wonderful time to visit. Enter the GC via the East Entrance and enjoy the eastern portion of the park. Great views.

It is easy to drive around the park, so you don't have to rely on the shuttles. Staying at Thunderbird, you will be right at the rim. Walk along the rim trail, maybe hike a short distance down Bright Angel Trail. Visit Hermit's Rest to the west.

Check the menus for the in park restaurants grandcanyonlodges.com/Dining-Overview-420.ht…

El Tovar restaurant is very nice and so is Arizona Room. For more casual, try Bright Angel Restaurant. For sunrise, stop there and get a cup of coffee.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

Thanks for the reply is the east entrance further than the south entrance to Sedona? How long would it typically take to do the east entrance route? I could do the east, check in to hotel and then walk or do a hike? Where would everyone suggest to see the sunset and sunrise. thanks for the help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,586 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

Sedona is baout 2 hours by car from either entrance to GCNP. That's why we suggest doing it as a loop.

There is no best place to enjoy sunset or sunrise. Just find a place along the rim where you can watch the the canyon walls as the sun's light washes it and the colors come alive.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

And there is a shuttle running in october. Not to Desert View though but you'll pass it on your way to or on your way out from Grand Canyon Village.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

Desert View to Grand Canyon Village is about 26 miles. From my own limited experience the shuttle buses run throughout the year and serve the rim to the west of GC Village, GC Village itself and eastwards to at least Yaki Point. All the restaurants in GC Village serve good food, but nothing fancy. People are there for the experience of seeing Grand Canyon and the food there is for fuel and not necessarily for pleasure.

For sunrise be at your viewing point at least 30 minutes before sunup.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

Thanks for the help everyone. I will come from the east and continue on.

7. Re: booked thunderbird need help with GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 06:18