We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maswik or Yavapai

New York
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Maswik or Yavapai

Hi

I would like to stay in the park but its slim picking. There is Maswik (north/south) and Yavapai (west/east) available. There is a price difference between NSEW. Can anyone tell me the difference and which one has a decent view?

Thanks.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

Both of these lodges are set a ways back from the rim so you won't have a view of the Canyon itself in these. If there are rooms available for your dates and your trip is soon, you need to book a room ASAP!! They won't last long!

It's not about being in your room with a view anyway so don't worry to much about it. You will be out enjoying yourself way to much!

Enjoy

SJG

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

Maswik is located closer to the rim than Yavapai, although still off the rim. It is also in the Village area, where more restaurants are available. Yavapai is located some distance away, near the market. If you have a choice, I'd choose Maswik. No lodges, even those on the rim, were designed to maximize views. The architechs wanted you to be outside enjyoying the canyon. The main goal is to be IN the park, so I'd grab Maswik first, then Yavapai if available.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,097 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

Just pick one and book it ASAP. You don't need a view from your room. You won't do anything more than sleep and clean up there. The important thing is to be staying inside the park. You can't understand until you get there. Just trust us on this one.

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

We chose Maswik because it had basically the same amenities plus air conditioning. We are going the end of August and may enjoy ac after a day of heat.

They are having an End of Summer special which throws in a free breakfast, free tour and discount coupon for the gift shop. It also lowered our nightly rate as we booked it in Jan.

Good luck and reserve soon!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,097 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

The breakfast will mean more than the A/C. The high today at the GCNP SR was around 80. You'll be glad to have a blanket at night when the temp drops down to 50.

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

Oh I would love that - It is 104 here today. The heat index is 110.

GC take me away!!

pa
Level Contributor
147 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

I don't know what the Maswik rooms are like, but the Yavapai rooms we stayed in were relatively spacious and had A/C (which we appreciated after hiking in June.) However if the rooms are similar I would stay at Maswik because its closer to many of the activities in the park.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
292 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

We just returned from GCNP and stayed in one of the Maswik cabins with no A/C-coming from oklahoma I was worried about not having A/C-it wasn't even an issue-we needed blankets at night!

We liked the location of the Maswik cabins-it was an easy walk to the rim(for us) wildlife was everywhere right outside our cabin door-

If you can get inside the park-I say GRAB it Now! You will be so glad you did

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

Given the choice, I would pick Maswik. It is closer to the rim and to the El Tovar (which is my favorite for lodging, food and beverages) on the South Rim.

10. Re: Maswik or Yavapai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...