We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

norahy
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

We have 3 days for Grand Canyon and MV in middle august, thinking of giveing one and half days for GC. I understand the poinf of staying inside or close to Grand Canyon village is for the nice sunrise/sunset view, but the price is we have to pay 120 more for staying close. I google mapped and it says it is about 1 and half hours drive from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Village. Would it be that difficult to see sunset and drive back to Flagstaff that night?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,617 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

If you drive Hwy 64 to I-40, you will be fine driving at night. Yes, 1.5 hours. Watch for elk, deer and cattle near the road south of Tusayan and until near Williams. Hwy 180 is not as good for that reason .... animals on the highway at night.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

If Grand Canyon Village accomodation is too expensive, check out accomodation in Tusayan, not only is it cheaper, but it is only seven miles south of the south rim.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

In which lodge are you staying in inside the Grand Canyon? Try the Maswik lodge for more budget friendly accommodations. It sits off the rim a ways but still within walking distance and is closer the the market place and the backcountry office.

Enjoy

SJG

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,739 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

we could not get into the village or south of there when we traveled to the GC. Instead of Flagstaff, we stayed at Cameron Trading Post and Lodge. $89 a night and huge rooms with handmade furniture. Restaurant on site with good food for good prices. It sits 30 minutes from the east entrance to the Grand Canyon. We got up early to be there for sunrise and spent the day till after sunset.

http://www.camerontradingpost.com/lodge.html

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

Flagstaff is an good choice, and it is popular for people visiting Grand Canyon.

Hwy 180 is more scenic, but it will be dark when you return so who cares. Hwy 64 to I40 will take just under 1.5 hours.

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

Carefull of train noise in Flagstaff.

Be carefull driving back on 180 into flag after dark also, many deer along road.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

The advice about train noise in Flag is right on. If you have a $60 rate, it is probably right along the tracks.

Top choice would be inside the park. Maswick and Yavapai Lodges have rooms under $100, I believe.

We have also stayed at the Cameron Trading Post, and that would be my second choice, even over Tusayan.

norahy
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

I check the location of Cameron and the price, it is quite nice. I'll probably book it soon. Thank you!!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

Keep checking daily for cancellations inside the park at the cheaper hotels. I would pay more to stay in the park.

One year we stayed in Williams for some reason, and the drive back was DARK and seemed like forever.

Another time when we stayed in the park I got up about 4:30 I believe, to walk quickly down the road to see sunrise. That was after seeing sunset the night before so we were up late then too. It would be tiring to have to drive back and forth, in addition you would not have to worry about animals on the road.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay near Grand Canyon village 170$ vs. Flagstaff for 60$

I agree with th above post. Even though Cameron is only 30 or so miles from the East entrance, it is still 60 miles from the Village. Driving winding unfamiliar roads in the dark, plus the slow speed limits in the park on the east rim drive, you are looking at about 1 1/2 hours to the village. While you can see the sunrise at the east side of the Canyon, it still is a 40 minute drive to the Village to get breakfast, and the car hasn't even been parked yet. Sometimes for convenience of being there you just have to bite the bullet--stay in the canyon park. Book the expensive room so you have it, then keep checking for availability at cheaper accommodations. If you get them, just cancel the expensive one--I can guarantee it will be snatched up in a heartbeat.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...