We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Where is the recommended place to say at the Grand Canyon? Looking to stay at the Rim if possible. Thanks

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

There are four lodges inside the park at the South Rim that are just steps from the rim. You book these at www.grandcanyonlodges.com. Go to this page:

grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-overview-62778…

and you can see just how close they are. The lodges are El Tovar (at the right in the picture), Kachina, Thunderbird, and Bright Angel (last two are out of the photo to the left).

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Definitely stay inside the park!!! If your trip is soon I urge you to call ASAP and book those reservations! 888-297-2757 Book them as soon as you know your dates. They take the reservations up to a year in advance.

SJG

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

If you want to stay on the canyon rim, I hope you're planning your trip well ahead of time. The four rimside hotels in the park are always the ones to get snatched up first, usually months ahead. If you can't get in any one of those, still try to stay inside the park anyway if you can. Maswik and Yavapai Lodges are 1/4 mile and 1 mile from the canyon rim respectively.

If you strike out completely inside the park, your next best option is Tusayan, a small community just outside the park gates at the South Rim. There are 5 hotels in that area, including a Best Western, a Holiday Inn Express, plus the Canyon Plaza (formerly a Quality Inn property), the Grand Hotel and the Red Feather Lodge.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Is El Tovar the adobe looking lodging property?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Which property is the large brown looking one?

grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-overview-62778…

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Hopefully I am planning early, my trip is not till May 28, about 6 months from now. However, I do understand that I still need to book now. I was looking at some of the reservations. The Thundebird does not seem to have any rooms available, and the only one apparently completely booked. The other lodgings seem to have rooms available. I am not familiar with any of these properties. Some seem to have A/C, some indicate no airconditioning, and some seem to have some kind of hydrators, what ever that is. Since we are going late May, I am assuming we might need A/C? Or, am I wrong, and it's not necessary for us?

Also trying to decide one night or two. I guess it depends upon what we plan to do, and to be honest, I am not familair with what all there is to do. Surely we want to take some time viewing the spectacular Grand Canyon, including sunset, and maybe sunrise, but I am skeptical that takes all day. I would like to hike a bit, but I am traveling with my Mother who will be 69. She's in great shape, and adventurious, but I don't see her walking down the Bright Angle trail. Any suggestions on how much time might be needed to help me determine if I need two nights?

Thanks!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Don't worry about A/C you won't need it!! At 7000' the air is very dry and it does get cool at night!! You more then likely will be reaching for a blanket!!! Don't forget to bring a flashlight with you for night time when making your way back to your room after a sunset viewing!!

I would book the two nights now and then if you change your plans later on you can cancel for a full refund up to 48 hours in advance. Yes, book your rooms now!! May is a very popular month!!

El Tovar is the "grand dame" of the lodges. Very historic building and usually the one booked well in advance. There are no elevator's so be prepared to carry your luggage up! If you can I would make a reservation for dinner here and enjoy the atmosphere. Dinner is the only meal that requires a reservation at El Tovar.

Hiking a bit down the Bright Angel Trail is strenuous, but if your Mother is in good shape she should be able to hike just a short way down. Remember that it takes twice as long to come back up!! Carry water with you!

You can go into www.nps.gov/grca and view or download a copy of the Visitor's Guide. It will help you get a feel for the way the park is laid out!

Enjoy

SJG

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Sorry,

El Tovar is the one all the way to your right out of the three when looking at the picture. Is that the one you mean?

SJG

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

Where you stay in the park is not as important as THAT you stay in the park. You won't be spending much time in your room except to sleep, and if you are, then you are not outside enjoying the Grand Canyon. You have never stated how many are traveling in your group--just pick one with availability with accommodations that fit your group size. Book both nights as suggested by SJG. You can always cancel one later on if necessary.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,379 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GCNP Lodging, where to stay?

For someone who was originally planning on doing a lot of 'driving around' you're now starting to fret too much about where to stay at he GCNP. You could start with the Top Questions column on the right hand side of this page and see the question and thread there that deals with the issue.

Bottom line is take whatever is still available in this order. El Tovar, Bright Angel, Kachina, Thunderbird, Yavapai or Maswick. That is the order of preference and usually the way they fill up fastest. You won't need A/C and you won't be spending much time in your room. 2 nights will be plenty, if you can get them. Otherwise with proper planning you can get the most out of your park visit with one night and a full day.