We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Rim as a day trip

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
149 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
North Rim as a day trip

Planning to be in Southern Utah mid-May. It appears that the North Rim is open May 15th, but the lodge website indicates no openings. If we choose to make it a day trip where do you recommend that we stay. The lodges in Jacob's Lake appear to have some pretty bad reviews. How long is the drive from Page? Is driving from the NR to Page after dark okay?

Thanks

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Rim as a day trip

When does the lodge open? Perhaps you are seeking lodging before it opens for the season? Jacob Lake is a mixed bag. I have stayed in the rooms in the motel and was not impressed, but it was OK. I have not stayed in the cabins, but I think they would not be OK.

Driving up from Page is doable (2-3 hours depending on who is driving...)but we are used to long drives. Are you taking 89 or 89A? Driving from the North Rim to Jacob Lake in the dark is not the best idea due to the wildlife on the road. If you take 89A to Page you will also encounter wildlife until you are off the plateau. I think wildlife would be less of a problem if you took 89 back to Page.

Have you considered staying in Kanab? Lot of lodging there.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Rim as a day trip

A lot of time the website shows that the lodge is booked up. If you call them direct something may be open for your dates.877-386-4383 is the number for reservations. Keep calling them, every day if you have to. People cancel all the time and it usually doesn't show up on the website.

I agree 100% with kmesaaz about driving at night coming down from the North Rim!!! The wild life is abundant and active! If you don't have to drive this at night....don't!

SJG

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Rim as a day trip

The opening date for the road to the North Rim is also completely variable. I was there a couple of years ago on May 20, and I was disappointed by a closed and locked gate. Last year, I think it opened on May 14. They don't know when the road, and, thus, the facilities, will open until they get closer to the actual date. It's completely dependent on the snow levels and temperatures.

Jacob Lake is more a functional overnight stop than anything. Aside from Marble Canyon, that's the closest alternative to North Rim lodging. Try reservations later at the North Rim Lodge but, if the road is closed, then it's closed, and there's no other way to the canyon rim on that end except at Tuweep.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Rim as a day trip

If you're unable to find lodging at the North Rim, and if Jacob Lake doesn't appeal, you could consider either the Marble Canyon Lodge, Lees Ferry Lodge or Cliff Dweller's Lodge. These facilities are located approximately 90 minutes from the North Rim, so they would put you closer to it than Page.

However, like Jacob Lake, all of these lodges are rustic and very remote. They're in a beautiful location (near the Colorado River and Vermillion Cliffs), and all have on-site restaurants (some of which are surprisingly good), and things like gas stations and small convenience stores nearby. Since they are independently owned and have very small room inventories, you won't find them on Expedia or Travelocity, but advance reservations are strongly recommended. For the Marble Canyon Lodge visit www.leesferryflyfishing.com; for Cliff Dweller's visit www.cliffdwellerslodge.com; for the Lees Ferry Lodge, visit www.vermillioncliffs.com.

Like colinaz has alluded to, though, whether or not the park (North Rim) is open by May 15th all depends on Mother Nature. So far she's dropped a lot of snow, which, if it continues, might delay the opening of the park a bit. Check www.az511.com for the status of Highway 67 into the park.

The South Rim on the other hand is open year-round.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,991 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Rim as a day trip

Depends a lot on where you're coming from and as noted mid May can be iffy at the NR. If indeed you will be staying in Page, you'll find that a day trip to the South Rim will be easier and less of a risk. And with only a day, there's much more to see and do at the SR in a limited amount of time.

6. Re: North Rim as a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:20