We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

LITTLETON
Level Contributor
235 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

We had a change of plans for Thanksgiving and would like to see if we can make a trip to the Grand Canyon. We are a family of 4 kids 11 & 15. Driving from Denver. My question they only have a few night available inside the canyon. Where should I start my search for the rest of the stay. Closest to the canyon entrance, nothing fancy just clean and accessible for easy access to the canyon while there.

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

For lodging outside of the park at the south rim, check out the chamber of commerce website at grandcanyonchamber.org/grand_canyon_lodging/…

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

In Tusayan there is a Quality Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Red Feather Lodge (formerly a Rodeway Inn), and the Grand Hotel. They are all near each other and only a short drive (about 5 minutes) from the South Rim entrance to the Grand Canyon.

We stayed at the Best Western, which was okay for one night, but could use some renovating/updating. However, the Holiday Inn Express just remodeled their hotel earlier this year, should the rooms should be in much better shape than the BW. The Red Feather Lodge is a nice, but rather basic hotel that serves its purpose. The Quality Inn is next to the Imax Center and is okay. I am not real familiar with the Grand Hotel, but if I remember right, it is across the street from the BW. Do keep in mind that none of these hotels are four or five star hotels (such as a Hilton, Four Seasons, or Ritz-Carlton), but are satisfactory enough for people who want to stay near the park but not in the lodges to stay in for a couple of nights. If you have any questions regarding places to stay in Tusayan, please feel free to let me know.

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

Oops-I meant to say "so the rooms should be in better shape"!

VT
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

Holiday Inns are very upscale.

LITTLETON
Level Contributor
235 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

Thank you for the advice. I was able to book Yavapai for Sat night. But will look in to the other hotels for Fri maybe Thur night. Won't be the trip necessarily that we had planned but I think the last minute may bring some adventure too. Thanks for the help. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

Hi

Just a thought, as you are coming from Colorado, why not try the Cameron Trading Post and Lodge (www.camerontradingpost.com) at Cameron near the parks east entrance. Great trading post and excellent restaurant.

Tony

Maricopa, Arizona
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

I would not recommend the Red Feather Lodge to anyone. Be sure to read all reviews before making a reservation there.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

If you want a really nice hotel, look at properties in Williams and Flagsaff. i recommend reading the reviews in TA of any you consider. Some of the hotels aleady mentioned have bad reviews. BTW, not many consider Holiday Inn as "upscale," as one person posting said.

Some of the hotels in Tusayan and Williams are listed as being at "Grand Canyon National Park," which they are not, so check on a map where they are actually located. To find reviews, I suggest looking at listing here at left under Grand Canyon NP Hotels, and then by city.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

We have stayed at several of the hotels at Tusayan and our favorite is the Holiday Inn Express. "Expresses" are not upscale - comparable to Hampton Inn. The HIE at Tusayan has an outstanding breakfast.

Don't forget meal reservations if you want to eat in the park.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,683 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Lodging outside park- Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

Arriving from Colorado, I am assuming you are staying somewhere along the way? I25 south to ABQ or are you headed I70 west to UT?

Either way, it is a long drive to Grand Canyon. Maybe spend the first night in Flagstaff, then some time closer to the park, and leave out of the East Entrance. We stayed at a super place in Flagstaff called the Comfi Cottages. These were small houses in Flagstaff, with full kitchens. We stayed at 12 W Columbus, a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. We loved it!!! It was close enough to drive to the Grand Canyon and other places around Flagstaff. Just an idea, maybe check it out.

We were thinking of the same trip for Thanksgiving, but are a bit closer in Santa Fe.

Have fun.