We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Minnesota
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Looking for feedback on my proposed women's group hike trip for first week in Oct. I have hiked all of these except for Little Wild Horse Canyon .....

Tentative schedule:

Sat: Fly to Las Vegas, stay at N Rim

Sun: Drive to Hanksville (good place for picnic lunch suggestion?

Lodging suggestion near Hanksville?)

Mon: Hike Horseshoe Canyon

Tues: Hike LIttle Wild Horse Canyon in Goblin Valley (is this worth another day in Hanksville??!)

Tues nite: Boulder Mtn Lodge?? (or should we just stay in Bryce)

Wed: Drive thru Escalante (suggestions?) Then drive through Bryce to hike the Queen's Garden Trail

Wed. Nite: Springdale

Thursday: Zion's Narrows hike

Friday: Angel's Landng

Sat: back to LV

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Welcome to the forum, aquasoul (I'm guessing you are a water person?)

You have a lot of good places listed on your itinerary, but I think the order and schedule need some work. I probalby need to pull out a map, or check Google Maps or mapquest and check some driving distances and drive times.

First of all the drive from the north rim GC to Hanksville is, well, a long way! Prabably a 6 or 7 hour drive without stop, and there are a lot of places to stop along the way. Plus, it does not seem that you will be spending much time at the GC.

Also, perhaps Torrey would be a better place to stay over Hanksville. More places to stay and eat in Torrey. Hanksville is closer to Goblin Valley, true, but not so much to make a difference. Torrey also provide great access to Capitol Reef NP.

Here's another possible routing:

Sat: Arrive LV, head to the north rim.

Sun: moring at GC; then on to Bryce Canyon

Mon: on to Torrey via route 12. Capitol Reef/Horseshoe Canyon (will that fit in one day?)

Tues: Little Wild Horse Canyon

Wed: On to Zion

Thurs: Zion

Fri: Zion

Sat: back to LV

Still tightly packed, but maybe a little better order.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

A good place to stay is Torrey instead of Hanksville.Lots more options.Austins Chuckwagon is good.Had to check my AAA guidebook to see if Hanksville had a motel.Then you can look around Capitol Reef NP while you are there.

A good place for a picnic on the way would be Calf Creek.The hike to Calf Creek Falls starts from there,about 6 miles round trip.I assume you are driving Hwy12 up there fromGC?

Never been to Horseshoe canyon,can't help.

On the way back,Boulder Mtn lodge would be nice.You can drive the Burr trail that starts right near the hotel.Drive until the pavement ends.

Stop at Kiva Koffeehouse in Escalante.They also have Kiva Kottages,which would be a nice place to stay.Only two units,might look into that .

On the way into Zion,stop at Canyon Overlook,just before the tunnel.Great intro to the park.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Don't know what time of the day you'll arrive but Las Vegas to north rim is 5-6 hours and you will have to p/u rental car first etc.

Hanksville has 2 motels but I agree with my fellow posters and also advice to stay Torrey. Your time for north rim will be very limited I'm afraid. Do you already have a reservation? Maybe better try that first.

Tet

Minnesota
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

great points/ideas - thank you! The only reason for the long drive from N Rim to Hanksville is because the group really wants to see the Great Galleries (I have photos on my walls) and it really isn't near other places I want to show them! I know we only get to look into the Grand canyon and leave, but I do love Zion the best so I saved extra days for there. I will take a harder look at the drive times. really appreciate the experinces out there - Maybe I should skip Grand Canyon? These midwestern women haven't seen it and want to say they have!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,234 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Your plan really doesn't allow for any meaningful time to see or experience the Grand canyon. I'd skip it on this trip. Focus on Utah and points there. Stay in Torrey instead of Hanksville. Tell them how cool the GC is and plan a return trip.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

I agree with RedRox. As tough as it is to do, skip the Grand Canyon this time and focus on Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef. Perhaps start at Bryce Canyon for 2 nights, then 2 nights in Torrey and wrap up with 3 nights at Zion. I think this will give you the time to enjoy these parks and the areas around them and the drives from point-to-point.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Hi, glad you posted this UT trip on the Arizona forum hhhhmmmm Lol

Anyway, Google maps is saying 7 hrs from North Rim to Hanksville if you go hwy 12. You could cut off some time by stopping in Torrey instead. (those poor hotels in Hanksville, who stays there?)

It is about the same amount of time from Las Vegas to Hanksville. Only if you go straight from LV then the better town to stay in would be Green River (I-15- I-70). I might flip a coin over whether to see the Grand Canyon or not. Oct would maybe give you some great leaf color and if they've never seen it then why not?

If you do go to GC and head up hwy 12 then agreed Calf Creek might be a good place for a picnic, we also enjoyed the Escalante town park. Kiva Koffehouse has the best view and might still be open in Oct.

If you head straight for Green River then you might enjoy stopping at the Fremont Indian museum or Cove Fort and picnic there.

Little Wild Horse Canyon is worth it. Make sure you see it. (And also easily accessed via Green River as well.) Btw it is near Goblin Valley, and maybe should be part of the park, but it is not at the moment.

I'd love to say I've stayed at the Boulder Mt Lodge and eaten at Hell's Backbone but I haven't....it is still on that bucket list for me. If you plan to explore hwy 12 on the way to Bryce then spend Tue either in Torrey or Boulder.

Things to see on your Wed...Burr trail, Anasazi state park, Devil's Garden on Hole in the Rock road, just for starters. At Bryce I hope you mean the Navaho to Queen's Garden loop, you must see Wall street.

Love your Zions time....I'll be doing that myself this summer. Yah!

Though most of this trip is in Utah and you have posted on the AZ forum, I don't think it matters too much about responses you'll get. We all tend to hang out on both.

Oh, PS. You say you've been to the Great Gallery already so hopefully you know what the road to get there is like. Just go prepared, with extra water and spare tire, etc.

Edited: 07 February 2010, 01:33
Minnesota
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

Now you know that I am a techno idiot - didn't know that there was an Arizona forum! At least it is close to Utah! Anyway, the responses have been far more than expected. I will look more into Capitol Reef and Torrey (I KNOW what Hanksville looks like!!). and I can't believe this, but I am cutting GC off my itinerary. Anyone can go there easily without an organized tour and personally, I love Zion far more anyway. Yes, I have been to Horseshoe Canyon and I was so terrified that I can't believe it is top on my list to return to. My daughter and I drove that road thru the sand "Dunes" that covered the road in a minivan ( a local couldn't wait to tell the story in the bar). Boston and Mn driving thru snow prepared me to gun it appropriately. Then a steer actually charged my driver's window and a sandstorm on the hike blinded me, causing me to switch my gas perm contacts to soft ones when I got home! But you know, it made memories for me... and finding the Great Galleries is an awesome experience.....thanks all

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

<< and finding the Great Galleries is an awesome experience>.

True that! even with the sand and the cattle ;-)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October trip to N Rim, Horseshoe Canyon, Bryce, Zion

for the safety of others, don't do what I did; I have a friend who grew up in the area of Hanksville who made it sound like a piece of cake. That road can be nasty; this time I will have an SUV and let someone know where I am. I always have extra water...

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...