We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiters

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First time visiters

My wife and I are taking a trip the end of May. First to Las Vegas, then traveling across the Hoover Dam, spending two nights at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We were then going to go to the north rim but heard that the area around Lake Powell is beautiful and are wondering if we should go there instead of the north rim (besides, we heard the road to the north rim may be closed until June). We then are going to visit Bryce for 1 day and Zionfor 2 days too, Our whole trip will be 10 days. Any thoughts or advise on this???

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,057 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visiters

i just replied to your other post. Now i see that you have a full 10 days to work with. I stand by my original reply, but given the time you have, I would encourage you to include Sedona and Page after the GCNP. You could do them in either order, but I'd say try to do 2-3 nights at each of them, depending on how much time you want to spend in Las Vegas. Many vacationers here realize that other than the airport, they could skip LV all together. You have to decide.

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visiters

1 post is enough. People don't like duplicate postings

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,343 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visiters

Hi,

Do you already have your reservations at the South Rim and are you spending a night or two in Vegas at the beginning of your trip?

If your focus is on the National Parks and surrounding areas I would skip LV in favor of these. With 10 days you could see a lot!!

Depending on the time of your flight home I would either end my trip at Zion (approx 2-1/2 - 3 hours from LV) or LV.

Maybe something like this:

Day 1&2 - fly into LV - drive to South Rim

Day 3 - drive to Sedona, spend 2 nights

Day 5 - drive to Page, spend 2 nights

Day 7 - drive to Bryce spend 1 night

Day 8 - drive to Zion spend 1 or 2 nights

Day 10 - fly home

or you could reverse it! Just a suggestion!

SJG

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visiters

Sorry, I thought this forum was area specific and since I was asking about 2 different states it was applicable. Again I apologize!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visiters

That you all very much for sharing your knowledge with me. I guess i'll be back at the map with my hightlighter. :o)

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visiters

We do have our reservation at the SR and also at Las Vegus. Thank you for your imput!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visiters

Thank you all for your advise. It was very helpful to us.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visiters

Discman, I don't see why it would bother anyone if someone posted the same question on different forums. I would think he has a greater chance of getting more opinions. Wherever he posted before, I never saw it, it isn't a forum I look at.

USMCGrunt1, if this was my trip I would skip north rim this trip and check out Lake Powell. I really regret we don't have time to see it this year.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visiters

Definitely Lake Powell - it's great fun, lots of water (contrary to what you might have heard!) and lots of activities that you might enjoy. Some of which are: the Glen Canyon float trip (5 hours), boat tours on Lake Powell (vary from 3 to 7 hours), airplane flights over the lake and Monument Valley, 4x4 tours to various slot canyons, easy but scenic hiking, the Navajo Village Heritage Center, John Wesley Powell museum, tours of the Glen Canyon Dam, just to name a few.

Don't get me wrong, I love the North Rim, but for a first time visitor, the South Rim is the better choice for getting a well-rounded appreciation of the canyon. There's more of it to see, more services, more to do. The North Rim is more mellow and laid back; visitor services are fewer in number there as well. In fact, cabins there are probably booked up already. Page, by contrast, has over a dozen motels and hotels in the area, but you still want to make advance reservations there too.

10. Re: First time visiters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:18