We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day/night to spare in Grand Canyon - advice pls!

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
one day/night to spare in Grand Canyon - advice pls!

Hi hoping somebody might be able to give me some advice.

We are flying to Vegas from the UK for a week at the end of Jan and have 5 nights booked in Vegas, one at the Grand Canyon West Ranch including a helicopter trip over the Canyon (on the west rim) then we have one night left - free.

We finish at the West Ranch about 3pm-ish and will need to be at Vegas airport lunchtime the following day to fly home. I'd really like to see more of the Canyon (viewpoints as opposed to hiking fine, especially bearing in mind limited time and weather).

However, bearing in mind the distances involved and short time we have I'm not sure that going to the south rim to stay is a good idea as I don't think we have enough time.

Does anybody have any recommendations or advice they could give? I can find very little (if any) information on the west rim or area surrounding. Can we get good viewpoints driving around this area? Are there places to stay?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: one day/night to spare in Grand Canyon - advice pls!

Hi

You're probably right, you wouldn't have time to do the Grand Canyon justice. Do you have a car? I'm presuming you do. If so on your way back to Vegas make a side trip to the Valley of Fire SP. Turn right once across the Hoover Dam. There should be more than enough there to keep you amused. Then stay overnight at Boulder City or Henderson before you return to Vegas. Another alternative would be the "ghost town" of Oatman, SW of Kingman on "Historic Route 66". Then stay overnight in Laughlin. I can recommend the Hilton Flamingo on the banks of the Colorado. Very cheap by British standards.

Enjoy.

Tony

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one day/night to spare in Grand Canyon - advice pls!

Thanks for your advice - yes we will have a car. I agree we are probably best to leave further exploration of the Grand Canyon for another trip! I'll check out the options you suggest.

Many thanks,

Strawberry