We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon North Rim Information

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon North Rim Information

We'll be staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights this August and are planning a visit to the Grand Canyon by road. From reading the forum I soon realised that the West Rim is not recommended and I should have planned an overnight visit to the South Rim, but as I didn't really want to lose a night in LV still considered a very long day driving and doing the South Rim in a single day.

However, I've just had another idea, which you may all tell me is not possible and a daft idea but any advice would be very much appreciated. As we'll be leaving LV to drive up to Zion (staying 2 nights in Springdale) would it be possible to visit the North Rim on the way? As that day was only being put aside for driving is this an option?

If this is a possibilty, how many hours drive would we be doing and what are the roads like on the way to the North Rim?

Many thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

The North Rim of the GC is NOT on the way to Zion NP. At best it requires a detour of about 4 hours or more, plus the time you'll want to have at the GCNP.

If a night in LV has more value, save the Grand Canyon for a time when you can plan for more than just a drive by.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

Many thanks for the prompt reply, when you say 4 hours I'm presuming that means 4 hours there and 4 hours back to the road to Zion?

Just out of interest what are the roads like to the North Rim? We've planned to see the Grand Canyon in a single day so will be sticking to that, and I know the forum recommends the South Rim for first time visitors but I like the idea of seeing the more remote North Rim.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

The NR is just that - more remote. The roads are generally good, all paved, but mostly 2 lane as opposed to the wider highways leading to the South Rim. And the access to the North Rim is closed during winter months due to heavy snowfall and extreme weather conditions. The park is scheduled to reopen around May 15th and will remain open until mid October.

To get there from your Zion route you would need to detour out of Hurricane on Rt 59/389 to Fredonia and then 89A down to Jacob lake and into the park. From Hurricane to the rim will take a good 3 hours at best. Getting to more than 2 view points inside the GCNP NR will require a few more hours.

I would encourage you to do a day trip from LV to the South Rim if you won't give up a night in LV. You'll see much more in a shorter time by going there, even though it seems like a long day.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

That great many thanks.

It was just an idea but I suspect that we'll now stick to the plan of doing the South Rim in one day.

Do you have any suggestions of things we could see on our drive from LV to Zion? It seems a waste just to use it as a driving day.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

You can get to Zion from LV in about 3 hours. You'll go via I-15 and one of the most scenic gorges in the entire interstate system. You could detour via the Valley of Fire SP, but Zion is the destination and nothing can compare to what you'll find there.

Like visiting the Grand Canyon NP, I'd focus on getting there to maximize your time at the park, whether it's a few hours or a few days. Save the detours for the return trip.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

Thank you for the excellent advice,

We have 2 nights at Zion (staying in Springdale) and really looking forward to that, before heading for Death Valley (one night stay) and then 2 nights in the Yosemite area (one in Lee Vining and one in Mariposa) so some great drives ahead of us - August can't come quickly enough :-)

7. Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 06:20