We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

Planning to be at Hopi Point around sunset. When I am ready to head back to the Village, what is best way to get back? I am assuming that maybe walking to the Powell Point, and taking the return shuttle back to the transfer stop in the Village, which looks to be the next stop, would be the best way to go. If so, how long of a walk is it to Powell Point from Hopi Point? Also, how long of a bus/shuttle ride back from Powell Point to the Village transfer stop? I am trying to plan the time needed for my return for dinner reservations at the El Tovar Dining Room. Thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

It would be only 0.3 mile. this map will show all of the distances between viewpoints:

nps.gov/grca/…2010SRspringGmap.pdf

The shuttle will pick you up at Hopi Point. That is one of only about 3 stops on the way from Hermit's Rest to the Village.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

Actually, according to the 2010 schedule, the stops on the return trip (after Hermits Rest) are, Pima, Mohave, and Powell Point. so walking back to Powell to catch the bus is the right way to do it.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

That's a surprise, because "everyone" goes to Hopi Point for sunset. There are always hundreds of people there, a good reason to go to another viewpoint, IMO

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

The problem you will encounter will be that the shuttles will be full from Hopi Point. At sunset, Hopi Point gets the most crowds. (I avoid it for that very reason). But it means that when the sun hits the horizon there will be a mass exodus from the view point to the shuttles. Then the shuttles will be full, and if you are waiting at Powell Point, you'll probably just watch them drive by you.

My advice is to walk along the rim path to the east from El Tovar and sit down somewhere for the sunset. then you can easily walk back to ET for dinner and you'll be there long before any of the crowds on the shuttles get there.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

RedRox, apparently the shuttle won't be even stopping at Hopi on the way back -- which seems strange to me.

I do the same as RedRox. I grab a bottle of wine from my room and walk along the rim trail east from the lodges. Surprisingly, that area is much less crowded than Hopi point, and the views are every bit as good, again IMO

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

Thanks for the info, and it's good to read that I can take a walk East of the El Tovar Lodge and view a great sunet. However I am curious, why is Hopi Point so popular?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

Views are great from anyplace in the GCNP. Hopi Point is one of the more western points inside the park. Too many people think that sunset at the GC is about watching the sun in the western sky. Actually the real show takes place before that in the canyon as the light washes the cliffs and canyon walls. The colors on the ground will light up and change in that hour before the sun disappears. Plus there's more room for people to stand around at Hopi Point.

Best way to enjoy the canyon including sunset and sunrise (IMO) is to avoid the crowds.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

That's what I was thinking, that it's more important to see the changing of the colors of the Canyon, and not the actual setting of the sun. After reading some reviews, I caught on that people were going to Hopi Point wanting to see the sun set. For me, that is not my priority, I just want to find a spot where I can see the changing light and colors of the Canyon. Granted, I suppose this can be seen at Hopi Point, but nice to know that I can enjoy the changing light and colors at other locations besides Hopi Point, and not deal with catching an already full shuttle bus, and needing to be back at a certain time for a dinner reservation. I appreciate the point about finding a quite location away from crowds, but for me, I am more interested in a great location to view the changing light and colors which I understand is anyplace along the rim and not necessarily at a specific point.

9. Re: How short of walk from Hopi Point to Powell Point?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 06:19