We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

HI all, trying to plan my "40th Birthday Road Trip" , driving loop from LV to LA in 10days taking in Zion NP, Bryce canyon , Capitol NP , Arches NP, Monument valley. Jean if possible - argh the more I see the more I want to do

The problem is Im getting conflicting advice about the North rim at the time we are traveling - some say its open till early Nov, some closed mid October.

Been on the NPS site and it states late November !!!

Need to know as really would love to visit here - blows the socks off South rim so Ive read

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

I don't know about "blows the socks off". They're very different. The North Rim's quieter and at a higher elevation (read: cooler) but also has much fewer points from which to actually see the canyon.

Per the closure, it changes every year. The facilities close up sometime in mid-October and the park service will set the specific date at some point during the summer. The road will stay open until the state transportation department decides to close it, which is usually around late October or early November, but is wildly variable as it depends on when the first big snow comes. It's just not plowed very much because they get so much snow and there's not much traffic.

nps.gov/grca/…CP_JUMP_167594

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

As for north rim access,it totally depends on when the first big storm blows thru.The lodging and restaurant facilities usually close October 15.Last year,they had the bookstore,and backcountry desk open,until November.Then winter kicked in.

When you say you want to visit Jean,do you mean Jean, Nevada? Not much there but a hotel and airport.There is a cool old historic bar nearby in Goodsprings, called the Pioneer.

Edited: 07 May 2010, 01:35
uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

Just realised my mistake - I actually ment Page, to see Antelope canyon and the bend (unsure of actual name)

sorry about that - my plan may make more sense now

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,666 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

The "bend" you are referring to is Horseshoe Bend. It is indeed a site to behold, but I personally don't think it beats the Grand Canyon! It is well worth the stop so please do it! You have to hike about 3/4 of a mile to get to the actual site. Not a strenuous hike, but it does take you through some sand! Bring water with you and of course your camera!

SJG

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

If you should happen to get to Page,try the raft trip from the dam to Lees Ferry.

www.raftthecanyon.com

Then also do Horseshoe Bend to get an above and below perspective of the bend.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

Im most certainly visiting the GC but it looks like the GC north accom and facilities are closed so it will be south only, still that will give us more time and we might be able to fit in Jean

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

checked out the rafting company and found the following info

From May 1 through September 30, we will offer two daily raft departures at 7:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

In October and November, we will offer one raft trip per day departing at 11:00 a.m.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,779 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

The change in the schedule coincides with changes in the weather.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

Grand Canyon North Rim guest services facilities close no later than October 15th. Depending on the weather, however, the road leading into the park can remain open as late as early December. You'd have the park pretty much all to yourself what with there being no place open to eat or stay. So if you're coming through on October 17th-18th, you could probably still make a day visit to the North Rim, but you'd have to stay outside the park somewhere like Jacob Lake, Marble Canyon or perhaps Page (1 hour, 90 minutes, 2.5 hours away from the North Rim respectively).

While you're in Page, definitely plan to take that float trip, Antelope Canyon and the walk to Horseshoe Bend. October is a great time to be here, but it's starting to cool off then so don't forget the coats.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Rim - 18th / 19th Oct

At the North Rim, the Visitor facilities (ie Lodge, restaurants, visitor center, etc) will close on Oct. 15th. The road from the entrance gate to the lodge area will stay open for day use as long as weather permits. This could extend into November, or maybe not, it depends on the snows. Once they close the road and the gate, you can only access the camping areas via hiking, snowshoes, or skis. When there, we saw pictures of the Lodge area with snow. Or rather, we saw rooftops and the chimneys of the Lodge. Lots of snow!!!

You may very well be able to visit the North Rim during your planned trip, but count on all visitor facilities being closed as of 10/15. Personally, I think the South Rim would be a safer bet.