We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to US in early september.

I am currently trying to decide whether to visit the North or South Rim of GC. (Both are on the route as we will be visiting Zion, Bryce and Sedona as well.)

If we choose the North Rim it will probably drive from Jacob Lake in the morning and further on to Page in the evening.

If we choose the South Rim we will be arriving in the evening after driving from Page, but we would be able to stay near the Rim at Yavapai Lodge, and then we could enjoy both sunset and sunrise at the rim.

What would you recommend?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

South Rim for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

The North Rim is quiet and fairly isolated. You can see a portion of the river from the rim on the north, whereas that is not possible on the south rim. It is less developed with fewer trails.

The South Rim is bustling with activity- people, tour buses, museums, gift shops, plenty of restaurant options and a well-developed rim trail.

The answer to your question depends on what you are looking for during your visit, but since you have the option of staying overnight at the south rim, (you do already have a reservation, right?), I would say you will get your most in-depth experience out of that.

Enjoy your visit to the US!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

<<"The North Rim is quiet and fairly isolated. You can see a portion of the river from the rim on the north, whereas that is not possible on the south rim. It is less developed with fewer trails.">>

I'll agree that the NR is more isolated. It's not a day trip from anywhere. But those who say you can't see the river from the South Rim are totally wrong. There are many places to see the river from the SR. The problem is that too many people go to the SR and only see it from Mather Point and then from the hotel zone on the rim trail. While you can't see the river from either of those view points, you only need to walk less than a mile in either direction to catch looks at the river. The very best river views at the SR IMO are at Lipan Point and Desert View. You can see rafts (during the raft season) and several rapids and lots of the river from the SR.

No matter which rim you select for a visit, you need to know that you CAN NOT hike to the river and back in a day. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

I stand corrected. I was posting what I had heard elsewhere. I know better now.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

It does sound like the south rim would be your better choice, but I hope you already have reservations inside the park at this point.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

IMHO - it all depends on what you like - we live rural and were fortunate enough to see both sides and I much prefer the North Rim - if you could stay here for an overnight I would choose the North Rim - hands down.

The sunrise is incredible and the sunset will take your breath away - AMAZING! Oh and did I mention the beautiful night sky from the North Rim!

Enjoy your trip - its an amazing area of this beautiful country.

7. Re: GCNP North Rim or South Rim with lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...