We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

Hi, I was planning on catching the hermits shuttle and stopping off at a few viewpoints for some sunrise photos but when looking on the Xanterra site and found a sunrise tour that will be leaving from our hotel out to hermits rest stopping at 2 sites to get sunrise.Now I presume one of these will be Hopi any idea of the other ?

The description is a little vauge and mentions getting tickets but not from where or for how much - can anybody help ?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,005 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

There are no fees for park shuttles and tours. But bear in mind they do fill those buses and shuttles and it means you will be in the middle of a huge throng of people.

My preference is to avoid the crowds. It's easy to do. Just walk out of the BA Lodge and wander along the rim. I usually go to the east toward Yavapai Observation Point. In the morning, it's just me and the deer and a few other travelers enjoying the solitude. Why get on a crowded bus?

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

Sounds good to me and breakfast before the masses on the tour return, might just take a trip over hermits afterwards

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

To miss the crowds go to one of the more isolated viewing points. A good place is Yaki Point. The shuttle buses can take you there so you can be in position at least 30 minutes before sunrise. Alternatively you can drive and walk which is what I did. As the sun rises the canyon changes from black to black with orange peaks to overall orange and then natural colours. There is no chance of moving to another viewing point because as the sun rises the scenery changes dramatically and unmissably different minute by minute. I had Yaki Point all to myself and the intense silence and dramatic changes in light and scenery made it an unforgettable experience.

Just make sure your alarm clock wakes you in time.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

There are fees for the sunrise and sunset tours offered by Xanterra. $20 per person. Xanterra and the park are separate entities. Xanterra is the lodging concessionaire which also offers tours and activities for a fee.

It is true that shuttles operated by the park itself are free, but not tours. The park does operates free shuttles at sunset/sunrise times as well as all day. Check the online park brochure at

www.nps.gov.grca

Edited: 17 September 2010, 19:39
5. Re: Sunrise Tour - Cost ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 05:36