We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
622 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

We plan to visit Arizona in late April. We will likely be staying in Sedona, but plan to do one overnight stay in GCNP. We have some flexibility on when to go to the park. I'm not sure if any particular days of the week tend to be more or less crowded than others.

I'm currently leaning toward either the Wed or Thu night of our week-long trip.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 19:56
Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

Spring Break will be more of a problem as families travel during that period. Check into availability of accommodations any day of the week you are there and take what makes most sense if availability exists on more than one night. Check into www.grandcanyonlodges.com for in park accommodations, the first choice you should make.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

Easter is April 24th next year so that usually implies heavy Spring Break traffic. However, tour bus traffic historically tends to lighten up on Thursday. That said, take whatever date you can get lodging inside the park or Tusayan. I understand that hotels are filling already so don't overthink the day of the week too much.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

Base your decision on possibility of getting accommodation at GCNP, preferable splurging and staying at El Tovar if available, GCNP is pretty big and can accommodate quite a few people! :)

Weekday or weekend at that time of year really does not matter and again, it's a pretty big hole! :)

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
622 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

Does El Tovar have rooms for 3 people? The rooms that are currently available have a limit of 2 people in a room. Wasn't sure if that was typical for El Tovar or if they had two-queen type rooms that just happen to be booked up. I can still get a room at most of the other lodges, though.

I'm not sure that I care, though, whether my room is right on the rim or a short walk away from it.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

They do have rooms for three so they must be sold out! Check on another lodge and take it. Don't wait to long to make your decision or you will end up with none!!

SJG

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

I agree with SJG, secure something and then "trade up" later. Being in the park is the priority for sure, don't need to have a room with a view of the rim, would be a nice plus nonetheless!

7. Re: Do crowds vary much based on day of week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 06:29