We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

We're tossing around the possibility of organizing a group Rim-to-Rim. Who's interested?

I'm thinking October -- it would be the first two weeks since the North Rim closes Oct 15th. The second half of May is also a possibility but it will probably be significantly hotter. I'm personally not interested in doing a summer hike.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

Count me in...if you go in October.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

absolutely! We did Rim-to-Rim last year and had a blast. Wanted to go again this year, but due to lack of available time off for DH, we had to pass ;( How many days are you thinking?

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

You could also consider the last 2 or 3 days of September, as this would give you more chances to get the space.

Unfortunately it is likely the group cabin at Phantom is already fully booked for 2011 dates in October, but it's worth a call to ask if any dates are still open.

And although I tossed out the idea, I am unfortunately not able to plan a trip at that time---but I'm happy to help with the logistics.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

I would be interested too, although DH doesn't like the thought of sleeping with a bunch of strangers, even though I don't consider any of you strangers!! LOL

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

October or late September would be better for me, but this sounds seriously interesting! Reading all these recent trip reports has been really, really bad for my GC itch. Somehow I've got to do some scratching pretty soon!

And Gilbert, after the first hour spent together the evening before, I bet we wouldn't even be close to being strangers. If a GC experience doesn't bond people together, I don't know what would!

Edited: 12 November 2010, 23:49
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

Lets do it!

Enzian, is getting a group cabin the same process as a regular one?

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

No, the group cabin is reserved on a different system. It sleeps 10 people in 5 sets of bunks, but it is much nicer than the dorms (and configured differently). there is a "group sales" office that handles the reservations; you can't get them over the phone. The usual procedure is to send a fax request early (like right after midnight) on the first day of the month for the same month the following year. The whole month usually books up that first day, which is why I said that the cabin is likely booked for all of next October. but you never know---they may have offered the reservaton to a group that later decided not to take it.

I'll see if I can find the phone number or e-mail so someone can enquire. It's not the main Xanterra phone number.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

I just faxed in the request. I started with 9/28 to 10/15, preferably 2 nights but would be grateful for one.

As a second choice, I put in for the second half of October through the first week of November. I figured doing a rim-to-river hike from the South Rim might be a good alternative.

Our chances may not be great but you never know. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

In the meantime, are you all only interested if we get PR spots? No interest in backpacking?

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

I just sent you a PM; I'm interested in either the cabin or backpacking. Thanks.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Group Rim-to-Rim -- October 2011

Either one is fine.