We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

sunnyvale
4 posts
Save Topic
Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

Hi

we are group of 11 people traveling from Vegas to Grand canyon for a one day, traveling early morning and returning on evening.

we would like to know for road trip can we use highway 93 or 95 as map-quest suggest that you might get bad traffic on 93 highway because of hoover dam construction.

And at Grand canyon South Rim Please suggest on what spots we should go which are must visit on a trip.

Regards,

Calilov

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,584 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

When is this trip? That's an important fact for possible advice.

You want to take Hwy 93 to Kingman, I-40 east to Williams, Hwy 64 north to GCNP. The bypass bridge for Hoover Dame is complete. There is some construction on the Arizona portion of the bypass however travelers are not reporting much delay.

Leave as early as you can. It's a minimum of a 4 hour trip without stops. On arrival at the park you will receive a brochure with maps and all the information you need. Park you vehicles at the Visitor Center near Mather Point or the Marketplace and use the shuttles buses to get around. You can visit the central GC Village area by shuttle any time and the Hermits Rest road on the west rim by shuttle March-October. The east rim requires driving to the overlooks there.

Without knowing when is this trip, it's hard to offer much more specific advice. Pack a lunch or buy sandwiches you can take to the rim and picnic, and don't use any of your time sitting in restaurants. Spend as much time as you can at the overlooks on the rim. Plan to leave before dark as the roads are very dark and desolate to the interstate highway, and animals cross the roads without warning. If your trip is in winter, you will have not much time but you should still leave before dark.

sunnyvale
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

Thank you very much for your answer...

I forget to add travel dates.

we are going on 26th nov 2010. your reply is very informative.

sunnyvale
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

Hi Advisers...

can you please suggest on this road trip please?

Appreciated.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 02:11
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,584 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

What more would you like to know?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,780 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

US93 probably will be 1/2 to 1 hour quicker to i40 than US95. Then straight to Williams then north to Grand Canyon. Look on www.nps.gov/grca for places to stop and visit inside the park.

5 hours to GC, 5 hours there and 5 hours back = a full day! Not something I'd want to do, but have fun! Bobbear gave you great info!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

We just did the drive from Las Vegas to GCNP via the 93-40-64 route and the new Hoover Dam bypass bridge (which opened earlier this month) cut about 30-45 minutes from our drive compared to a year ago. It took us 4 hours.

There is a stretch of I-93 that is still restricted to one lane of traffic in each direction. We didn't experience any delays travelling to GCNP on a Friday mid-morning and returning to Las Vegas Tuesday evening but we did notice that the traffic going from LV to GCNP that Tuesday evening was backed up... So, I'm guessing that there are sporadic unpredictable delays.

I don't know how up-to-date Mapquest or other online mapping applications are but, personally, I would just take I-93. There is nothing you need to do to take the new bypass... just stay on I-93.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

Bob gave you some great advice. What kind of vehicle will you be traveling in? All together or in a few vehicles? Construction at/around/over the Hoover Dam is somewhat completed and has greatly improved/shortened travel times between Las Vegas and Kingman.

I would suggest you park at or around Mather Point, take in the different viewpoints in and around there, check out the visitor center, then see how much time you have left. I am not certain if the road to the west to Hermit's Rest (Red Route) will be open to traffic or only accessible with the bus service offer in GCNP. You could also take the Blue Route bus to get around the "main" area between Mather Point and GC Village where most of the lodges and hotels are located.

Do you want to all stick together?

Then, if you have time, you could drive Eastbound and check out Yaki Point, Grandview Point, Moran Point, Lipan Point, Navaho Point and Desert View!

It will be a VERY LONG day. Enjoy!

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,584 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

The Hermit Rest road shuttles to the west rim operate through November. Someone posted a thread recently that said the shuttle was going to end with October, but that is not what the web site states, and it has been recently updated.

Mather Point is the most crowded parking area most of the time as it is the first overlook encountered by people and tour buses entering from the south entrance. A better place to park if you plan to use the park shuttles is at the Visitor Center adjacent to Mather Point which is just to the west or left when encountering Mather Point on entrance. There is a bus stop area right at the Visitor Center.

Coming in late November, your time will be short as daylight is short. I would suggest viewing at Mather Point, then driving to the area where the lodges are located. There is very good viewing at the rim where the lodges are located. Then judge how much more time you have and decide whether to take the shuttle on the west rim or drive to the east rim at least to Grandview Point.

Check the weather before you go. Snow is not uncommon in late November. It will not spoil your visit. Whether snow or not, it will be cold even if sunny. Bring coats/jackets, sweaters, caps/hats, gloves/mittens. Other times of year I would say "think layers," but when I have been there in late November the better advice would be "bundle up."

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

Some good advice in this thread, but some errors as well.

- DetTigerFan: I-93 is in New England; it is not a good way of getting to the GC. :). US93 would be a better option.

- DesertRose,bobbear: Parking at Mather Point is permanently closed and the road to Mather Point is permanently closed to vehicles. You should recommend that folks park at the Visitor Center and walk to Mather Point.

-bobbear: Is this the thread you are referring to about the shuttle busses?: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143028-i157-k4049… If so, you should re-read it. I clearly stated that the Red line bus is out of service between December and February. If you are talking about another thread, then please disregard.

Edited: 18 November 2010, 09:10
Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise on Road trip to Grand canyon from vegas

Thanks for the proof read and corrections Kirk9! Do you know when Mather Point parking got closed?