We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
356 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

We are driving to the GC this weekend and will be spending time there when the weather report calls for rain and possibly snow. We have kids 7 and 9 and I am curious what suggestions you have for activities to do in these conditions. We had planned to do a bit of hiking.

Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

Looks like Saturday is the better day. Try to get some hikes in that day. Sunday looks like snow! It is beautiful at Grand Canyon with snow. Save indoor ranger talks and maybe the IMAX in Tusayan just south of the park.

Your kids will love the Junior Ranger program.

Also making snowmen, throwing snowballs etc would be quite fun too. Bring along warm clothes.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

Unfortunately, we will miss the good weather as we are driving all day tomorrow...We have Sun and Mon. Thanks for the advice, I already have the coats and gloves packed :) IMAX is a great idea.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

The visitor center would be a great place to spend some time. They have indoor and outdoor displays, a couple of different buildings, and activities for kids. Check it out!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

Honestly, unless it is storming and the shuttle is not running, i would bundle up and enjoy the unique spectacle that is before you with snow falling on this beautiful canyon. You can hike between the shuttle stops and then ride when you are cold and tired. Get some hot cocoa and warm up, get a good meal at the AZ Room at Bright Angel and then go out and take in the night sky or watch the snow fall at night. You will have a unique privilege of seeing a winter view at the GCNP, which us locals truly envy.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

I'm with AZFan. The Grand Canyon is all about being outdoors. Put on your jackets and go hiking anyways. I hike in the rain all the time, it's not so bad. Obviously, if things get slippery, you will want to be careful. They do sell crampons at Market Plaza which attach to your shoes and will give you good traction on slippery trails.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

My son and I were at the GC two weeks ago backpacking. We hiked into the Canyon to great weather -- mid-70's and sunny -- and hiked out to 35-degrees and a hail storm. We threw on our rain jacket/shells and watched the storm roll through the Canyon. It was a really cool sight topped off with a rainbow.

We did get some snow overnight and it was just gorgeous the next morning. Because of the altitude, you'll have snow a little above freezing point temps.

If it's raining but not windy, you can use umbrellas. (I know someone who actually hikes with a lightweight umbrella for shade.)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,586 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

Understand that 'hiking' at the Grand Canyon, does not necessarily mean going down and up. Think 'stroll and wander' along the rim. The views will change with every step and every moment. Weather is always natural. Snow, clouds and rain at the GC add to the dramatic size and scope.

There is never a bad time to visit the Grand Canyon NP.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

If the weather is really bad, you could end up staring at white clouds. That would be very unfortunate, if I were you, I would reconsider going or changing the dates. Yep, the Imax would be cool but that could be seen in ANY Imax!

I hope that it will clear up for you...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,586 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

AFAIK the Grand Canyon IMAX film is only shown at the IMAX theater in Tusayan. It is shown every hour on the half hour. It is a good compliment to a GCNP visit, but nothing can top viewing the real Grand Canyon. Even in the rain and snow, it is an amazing sight.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do in the rain / snow in GCNP

RedRox, is the IMAX presentation not also sold in DVD? I agree that the IMAX and the visitor center especially if the weather is bad is a great extra thing to do but does not replace seeing the real thing and could just as well be skipped, leaving more time at the rim...