We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter is here

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,176 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Winter is here

Storms moving through northern AZ today have dropped 6 inches of snow in some places including Jacob Lake on the North Rim of the GC. The forecast low tonight at the GCNP South Rim is 5 degrees.

These conditions shouldn't scare anyone and it is certainly not a reason to not visit the GCNP. But be advised and dress warmly including a hat and gloves and layers of clothing.

Be prepared for conditions like this at the GCNP from now until next April.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,073 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter is here

And count yourself lucky if you get to see the canyon draped with snow. It is a real treat.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter is here

Dress warmly and make sure your vehicle is adequate with winter tires, 4X4 does not always mean adequate!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter is here

Cool! I'd love to be there to see the Canyon with snow. We have wind here in NM, not sure if we will get any snow.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter is here

I want to go back.......

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter is here

I will be driving from sedona to GC then on to vegas, 4/5 dec. Standard hertz sedan - do I need to worry about tires?

Thanks

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter is here

You shouldn't have to worry about tires from the rental car company. Make sure they are in working condition (inflated properly, fairly new with good tread) and you should have no problems.

Use common sense and caution when driving in snowy conditions!!

SJG

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter is here

And be sure to check www.az511.com before setting out

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter is here

Kittykat, I would suggest you be a little more concerned than what SJG is suggesting. I am not sure if she has been on that plateau around Seligman on I-40 in the winter, I have! I drove through one of the worse snow storms during the month of January last year!

What K-Bot suggested is the best idea, check that website out a day prior to coming, look at the forecast, you may want to look at upgrading to some kind of AWD vehicle (car or truck) if it looks like you will encounter snow which unlikely but possible. I hate to make broad statements saying that it will all be fine, the weather is unpredictable, especially not two weeks out!

Furthermore, cars rented from rental agencies typically have (at best) 4 season tires which are just OK when used in snowy conditions...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter is here

I'm confused now with conflicting advice from SJG & DR on driving at GC and the need for a 4WD next week.

Is there currently snow on the drive from sedona to south rim? I'm planning to drive via cameron & east entrance & stay overnight. What about the drive from GC to vegas - any snow?

Should I consider an alt route to GC if snowing when I leave sedona (4th Dec).

I'm picking up my car 29th Nov in Phoenix, so need to change if necessary. It's double the price for a 4WD so I'd rather not incur $$ unnecessarily.

I was under the impression that there MAY be light snow falls that would melt in the sun - how likely is there to be snow storms that DR is talking about?

Is there a website I can go to for long range weather forecasts?

I'm leaving Australia in a few days, so need to re-plan if necessary.

I've never driven in the snow before, but assumed you would just drive a lot slower, and pull over if heavy - anything else I need to consider...?

I'd appreciate some advice - thanks

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter is here

Here's the 10 days forecast for Flagstaff which is on 7000 ft so much higher than Sedona. Looks good! Snow in the next days and sunny after that. Keep an eye on www.weather.com and have a great trip. Don't worry too much. With heavy snow even a AWD won't help but there are more days without snow than with on the road. weather.com/outlook/…USAZ0068

Edited: 23 November 2010, 08:56