We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GS South Rim Stay

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
GS South Rim Stay

Hi,

I am planing to be with family for 3 days between 12/21 and 12/24 at the south rim. I am looking at hotel options at Tusayan - Best Western, Red Leaf and Holiday Inn Express. How far are these actually from the park? Google says 17 miles at the hotel sites say just about a mile. I am not sure if I am looking at a wrong reference point in Google.

Thanks

Anand

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GS South Rim Stay

The hotels in Tusayan are just a couple of miles from the park entrance. Once you enter the park it's about 4 or 5 miles till you get to a viewing spot of the canyon. The hotels you have mentioned are all clustered together with the Best Western being the furthest from the park entrance, but even at that, it's not far at all.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GS South Rim Stay

Although it may be too late,try to reserve a place inside the park, you won't regret it.Call Xanterra to see about any cancellations in the NP lodges.That way you are just steps from the rim versus a couple miles.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GS South Rim Stay

Always try for in the park lodging! Call them directly to see if anything is available at 888-297-2757. If nothing is available when you call, keep calling!! Cancellations do happen and they normally don't show up on the website.

The hotels/motels in Tusayan are definitely more then a mile from the in park rim lodging. If you can book something in Tusayan that has a no fee cancellation policy then do so and check back with the number above daily for in park reservations!

SJG

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GS South Rim Stay

Look for lodging inside the park, call the number suggested and I bet you rooms will be available on a last minute basis.

3 nights is somewhat too long. 1-2 nights is plenty...

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GS South Rim Stay

"Google says 17 miles at the hotel sites say just about a mile." The difference is that Google is telling you the distance to GC Village, and the hotels are telling you the distance to the park entrance, which is 1 mile from Tusayan to the park boundary. As already said, 3 nights is likely too much, especially in winter. Spend the other night in Sedona if that is convenient. Are you driving? From where?

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: GS South Rim Stay

Jeez Bob, it looks like your opinions and advice are getting closer and closer! ;)

To mine!

Edited: 11 December 2010, 07:41
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GS South Rim Stay

With due respect to the local experts, three nights at GC isn't too long if a person enjoys outdoor photography, landscape painting, long hikes and just being outdoors, or simply seeks a relaxing time amidst great natural beauty. However, in December weather could intervene to thwart such plans, so you might want to have a Plan B such as moving on to Sedona. As mentioned, stay in the park if at all possible.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: GS South Rim Stay

Agree with you texashills, would also be quite inspirational for a writer too! For regular folks, 2 nights enables you to take it all in quite well...

9. Re: GS South Rim Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 05:18