We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

United States
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

I posted the below on the Las Vegas forum earlier.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k423085…

Was told that it might snow and visibility might be poor the week (April 1 to 8) I'm going to the Grand Canyon. Can I book a hotel for 4 people (two double beds could be good enough) at the last minute for the Grand Canyon? I would hope one of those days visibility would be decent.

Also, if you guys have any suggestion on my itinerary, I'd love to here them. Just look at the link above for details on my plans.

Thanks.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 21:11
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

Booking last minute is not recommended because the lodging usually books up to a year in advance!! You can book your lodging now and if you cancel 48 hours prior to your trip you will not be charged a fee!

SJG

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

You can try to book at the last minute. But know that the lodging inside the park is limited and bookings begin up to 13 months in advance. The best lodges and rooms always book that far out. Last minute availability is usually dependent on cancellations. Those openings rarely show on the on line calendar because they get re-booked almost immediately on the phone.

At the worst, if there is nothing available inside the park, you could settle for a room in Tusayan, just a few miles outside the park gate. There you will find a handful of traditional roadside motel options where GCNP overflow generally ends up. Rates will be as high or higher than most park lodging, and you'll have to commute to the park. But that's the price you pay for failing to plan ahead.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

The Grand Canyon is the most visited National Park in the United States. (maybe the world) Over 5 million people visit the canyon annually, with the vast, vast majority visiting the South Rim. There are 6 lodges inside the park. You can do the math. That is why reservations are made a year in advance by many travelers.

Snow is a wonderful thing to see at the canyon, and if it does indeed snow, consider yourselves one of the luck few that get to see it. Book your rooms if there are any available and if you have a change in plans. you can cancel up to 48 hours as SJG said without a charge.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com If nothing is available on the web page, call the number as cancellations often do not get posted on the web.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

Nobody knows what the exact weather will be like April 1-8, its too far away.

You should make the reservations, and if it should happen to snow,go anyway.The canyon has a completely different look when covered in snow.

United States
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

It does look like there is still availability that time of year at a couple of the grand canyon lodges (Maswik and Yavapai).

It's the south rim that is the most beautiful correct? If so, I'll book one night there right now.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

Yes, the GCNP at the South Rim is where you want to go. Book Yavapai or Maswick right now.

United States
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

Just Booked Maswik Lodge for 2 nights. Thanks a lot guys.

8. Re: Can I book at lodging at the last minute at the Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 11:16