We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Sarasota, Florida
13 posts
Save Topic
Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

So I'm in the very rough planning stages of a trip for this summer.

We have 1 week, and would be flying in so we can land wherever is most convenient. Looks like that might be Phoenix?

Definitely want to do:

Page, Rafting Trip

Grand Canyon, stay at least 1 night in the park, take some tours

Zion

Bryce

Other things that sound good but I don't know how they would fit in:

Monument Valley

Sedona

Arches

4 corners

Jerome

Other parks

Indian Type of activity

Cowboy type of activity

We're big on tours or planned activities, perhaps there are show type meals we might enjoy.

So, what do you guys think? Give me your best ideas including or definites and if there's anything from my maybe list that's a good fit throw it in there...if not, we'll skip it and just stick with the definites.

Thank you so much!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Whoa! Way too much on the plate for a week, if you go beyond the must dos.

If Zion and Bryce are absolutes, then Las Vegas is probably a better airport base.

2 nights Zion, 1 night Bryce, 2 nights Page and 1 night GCNP is a week.

If you want to use PHX for arrival and departure, then try 3 nights Sedona, 1 night GCNP and 2 nights Page.

You can visit Jerome in a half day from Sedona.

Monument valley is too far to go.

4 corners is too far and a waste of time

Arches is a Moab trip that you should save for another vacation.

Indian ruins are all over northern AZ and southern UT. You can see several from Sedona. But be careful about adding activities to your Sedona days or you'll miss Sedona itself,

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

www.visitsedona.com

www.raftthecanyon.com

Finally, if you're planning for this summer, the first thing you should do is see about lodging availability inside GCNP

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Edited: 19 February 2011, 20:00
Boston...
Level Contributor
535 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Thats a pretty aggresive plan.How old are your kids ?I have gone from Tucson to monument valley-moab-capital reef - Bryce -zion -grand canyon north-tucson in 7 days.Thats by myself hiking and touring 14 hours per day.would not try it with a family

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

I completely agree with RedRox. Choose one OR the other of his itinerary suggestions if you want a great trip full of fabulous scenery with time to actually experience each destination.

If you're in Sedona, you might want to go to the nearby Blazin' M Ranch for a cowboy show and meal. Just mentioning this because of what you wrote in your post.

www.blazinm.com

Sarasota, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Thanks, I really don't want to cram too much in. The kids are 18 and 15 by the way, so not toddlers or anything.

OK, then I'll leave it in your hands guys, re plan it for me.

The only absolutes:

Grand Canyon

Page Rafting trip

Everything else is optional.

1 week

Pick my airport

Tell me what would be my best itinerary. I'm really open to your ideas.

Thanks so much!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Go with my plan B. First step is to book the night at GCNP. That's always the toughest reservation so get it set.

PHX to Sedona is 2 hours. add 2 more to GCNP, then 3 more to Page. Page back to PHX is about 5 hours.

LV to GCNP is 5 hours, 2 hours from there south to Sedona or 3 hours north to Page. Sedona to Page is also about 3 hours. Page back to LV is about 6 hours.

The point is, you need a bout a half day to get between each place, but it can be done.

You need two nights in Page to do the raft trip. One at GCNP is sufficient, and Sedona could easily be the rest of the week or more.

The only other option would be to cram Zion, Bryce GCNP North Rim and Page together, but IMO that is still too rushed. NR lodging is even tougher to get than South Rim, plus you'd really need a second night there and you still wouldn't see as much of the GC.

Boston...
Level Contributor
535 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Good websites for planning are trip advisor ,for pictures, advise and reviews.Google Earth with adobe 10 upgrade allows you to see panoramas and mapping pictures,scenery.Panoramas dk which allows you to view pictures of sights in realistic panorama form Usa 360 and Grand Canyon are done quite well.You can also view you tubevideos.It takes a little bit of browsing and watching yet with only a week you need to choose carefully, based on your own desires,and time.Probably would not hurt to get the kids interested.

Sarasota, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

OK We're so torn!

We've been debating this back and forth but since we've never been, we can't decide. Help us decide, plan A or plan B?

Plan A

Sedona

Grand Canyon

Page

Plan B

Zion

Bryce

Page

Grand Canyon.

So, help me out, which itinerary? And why?

So basically the decision is between doing either Sedona or Zion/Bryce as Page and Grand Canyon make the cut either way. Any input on Sedona vs Zion/Bryce?

Edited: 20 February 2011, 16:46
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Well, I vote for Plan A, but I'm admittedly biased for Sedona as I love it, and used to live nearby. There is more to "do" there besides the numerous hiking trails, including Pink Jeep Tours, Slide Rock (swimming), restaurants and unique shopping, plus art galleries, etc. You could even squeeze in Jerome if you REALLY wanted to, although there's plenty in Sedona alone. Plus, the drive into Sedona via Oak Creek Canyon is gorgeous. Here is the 'Things to Do' link for more ideas:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31352-Activitie…

My other advice is to go to the main page of the Arizona forum. At the top, there's a topic called Trip Report Links. Click on this topic, and inside you'll find lots of trip reports from people who have done the trips you are considering. (Also go to the Utah forum and do the same, as you'll find more Zion and Bryce TRs there.) Sometimes I think it's helpful to hear what people thought of their destinations, or the places they wish they had lingered, etc.

Either way, it's a win-win IMHO. Zion and Bryce are gorgeous places, too, it's just a slight difference in activities.

Boston...
Level Contributor
535 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

Plan b has more variation and side options.There are many dramatic differences between those 4 sights as opposed to sedona being a Red rock Destination.On plan b you can go to st. george area for some mormon culture.Plana would include slide rock state park and some romantic options.The internet has all kinds of picture s you can check.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan an itinerary, 1 week trip

BFB, you do know that Sedona has much more than "Slide Rock and some romantic options" (whatever that means)... It appears that maybe you've never been to Sedona? Because if you had, you'd know that the scenery in and surrounding Sedona is incredibly varied, and is much more than just a few red rocks. I just want to be sure that the OP has the correct facts to make their decision.