We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

Hiking party of this trail in June...will start early to avoid the heat as much as possible.

I've heard and seen (on Youtube) different things with regard to water availability on the Bright Angel Trail. Of course I will take water with me and food, but where can I refill? Does the first rest house at 1.5 miles in have water? I've seen both yes and no. Does the rest house at 3 miles in have water? Is there water then between there and Phantom Ranch at the bottom?

Thanks!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

There is water available during the summer months at 1.5 mile resthouse, 3 mile resthouse and Indian Garden (approx. 4.5 miles). The next potable water source is not until Bright Angel Campground at the river. Water is only on above Indian Garden in warmer months and is never guaranteed, so it's always wise to carry extra and check at the rim before descending to make sure you are prepared.

There is official information and a trail description here: nps.gov/grca/…Bright_Angel_Trail.pdf

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

There are water spigots at both 1-1/2 and 3-mile rest houses. There is also a water spigot at Indian Garden. (Toilets at all three as well.) You need to confirm that these water spigots are working before you leave the South Rim. The water pipe status is posted outside the Backcountry Office. Or you can check at the Transportation Desk in Bright Angel Lodge. The pipe does break often enough, so I wouldn't take it for granted.

After Indian Garden, there is no more potable water until Bright Angel campground (Phantom Ranch) but if you have your own water purification, there is easy access to Garden Creek below Indian Garden.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

Actually, there are no toilets at 3 mile. There is a resthouse with shade, places to sit, and water.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,343 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

If you have a backpack with a hydration system in it (2-3 liters) and an extra liter bottle or so you should have enough water to get you from Indian Gardens to Bright Angel Campground (approx 4.5 miles) where you can refill. There are a couple different spigots at the Bright Angel Campground area as well as at Phantom Ranch.

Do you have reservations to stay at PR or a backcountry permit to camp at BAC? Do not hike down thinking you can stay at either one! You will be turned away and will have to hike back out.

If you are doing this hike in one day be advised that it's not recommended to do so!

SJG

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

"Hiking party of this trail in June. . ."

Does this mean you are only hiking partway down, or you have a hiking party going the whole way? Your question is ambiguous because you do ask about the stretch between 3 Mile House and Phantom.

If you are planning on hiking to Phantom, pay close heed to SJG's warning. You MUST have reservations.

And if you are hiking only part of the trail, be advised that the hike to Indian Garden and back is a strenuous hike with 3000 feet of gain in 4.5 miles (9 miles RT). This is tough at that altitude, and it is good that they have water available along the way.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

Check to make sure the water is flowing. Typically water is available at 1.5 mile, 3 mile and Indian Gardens. But breakages/outages do occur.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

Yeah...I made a typo...hiking "part" of the trail. Probably only going to go 3 miles in and then 3 miles back out. I'm a runner (marathons, ultramarathons, and such) and so briefly considered running the 7.8 miles to the bottom in the early morning and then running-hiking back out, but we're only there for 3 days, and this is a family vacation, so I've decided against that this time.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Edited: 10 March 2011, 14:56
8. Re: Water on Bright Angel Trail Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 14:16