We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

Period : 16th April to 21st April

Proposed: GCNP followed by Las Vegas

- Is it worth combining both or just see GCNP concidering the time.

- Is it worth fly DC to iLasVegas -- GCNP

- any suggestions please. As it may be late. But trying to book tickes now for hotel/flight/car.

--where to stay -- fist -

second --

third --

, Which aiport is best to land,

Thanks

Cheers

Edited: 15 March 2011, 02:06
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,100 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

The GCNP is always a great place to visit. The first thing you must do is try to book lodging inside the park. At this late date, you might have a hard time. However, if you call rather than just use the claendar at the website, you might catch a cancellation.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

At the very least, book a back up room in Tusayan, just outside the park, but keep calling Xanterra everyday. Plan to stay at the GCNP at least one night, two or more if you think you'll do any serious hiking. Otherwise, you can get the most out of the park in a couple of days.

Las Vegas has no appeal to me. It is a complete anti environment to the Grand Canyon. Sedona AZ makes a perfect compliment to the GCNP. If you choose these two destinations, consider flying in and out of Phoenix.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

And if you can't find the phonenumber, here it is: 888 297 2757 for cancellations and here's for Sedona www.visitsedona.com Sedona and GC make the perfect combination imo. There are no flights between Las Vegas and GC other then the tours, but you'll miss sunset and sunrise then.

Tet

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

Appreciate and thanks for the post.

I am finding very less price difference to fly Flagstaff, AZ (FLG)/Las Vegas (LAS)/Phoenix, AZ (PHX).

What is the driving distance from -- FLG or PHX to GCNP. Any best route.

I couldn't get LODGE in GCNP. Which is the next best place to stay/Lodge/Hotel in GCNP.

Is it good to stay a night at Sedona.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

We are flying into Las Vegas - spending a few days there - then driving to GCNP and spending two days there then driving back to Vegas for a few days and flying back out of Vegas. If you really like Vegas - that would be the way to do it IMHO

I believe it is about a 5 hour drive.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,100 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

FLG is closer to Sedona and GCNP than LV or PHX. However the flights to FLG all require a flight into PHX and usually a plane transfer and delay there. In most cases, you can get off the plane, rent a car and be in Sedona or FLG, before the plane gets there.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

I've read most flights to Flagstaff are skipped. Maybe post on the Flagstaff forum.

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

Thanks for the advice , it was very helpful in booking lodge.

We could manage 2days in Yavapai Lodge and booked flight to Flagship.

Reaching 11.30PM at GCNP.

Now:

Debating -- Planning train trip -- from FLG to GCNP --

Drive Car from FLG to GCNP -- How much will it cost + fee

Also any advice on planning the trip: 2 days at GCNP

--

--

--

Best transport from : GCNP to LAS

-- Are there any tour buses for going from GCNP to LAS, where we can book for the same.

Distances: for other people reference.

PHX --> williams 182 2 hrs 58 mints

FLG --> williams 38 MI 41 mints

Williams , AZ -->Las Vegas, NV 218 3 hrs 41 mints

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

OK, just to clarify, so that I understand you correctly.

You've booked a roundtrip flight to Flagstaff, arriving the 16th and departing the 21st, 4 nights total. It also sounds like your plan is to rent a car in Flagstaff and drive to the Grand Canyon South Rim, spend two nights at Yavapai, and then go to Las Vegas for two nights. Then back to Flagstaff for your departing flight. Is that right?

When you say "Reaching 11.30PM at GCNP", is 11:30 when your flight is arriving in Flagstaff or have you estimated the time of arrival at the park based on flight arrival, time to get luggage, rent the car and drive to the park? It is normally a 1-1/2 hour drive from Flagstaff to GCNP and possibly longer so late at night; it will be very dark and you'll need to exercise some care in driving.

There are no tours from the GC to Las Vegas. (Tours only run in the opposite direction -- i.e. from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon.) The best thing is to drive your rental car from the GC to Las Vegas. It's a 4-1/2 hour drive. From Las Vegas back to Flagstaff is a slightly shorter drive, probably around 4 hours.

It sounds like you've already purchased your plane tickets but, in case you haven't, for a GC-Las Vegas itinerary, I think it would be MUCH more efficient to fly to Las Vegas. You can then rent a car and drive to the Grand Canyon.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,100 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

There is no train that goes from Flagstaff to GCNP. Getting there by train would require transfers and would take a full day or more and cost far more than one can justify spending. The best bet is to rent a car and drive there. Same for getting to LV. Just take the car and plan to drop it off in LV. Be sure to check about drop off fees.

Flying into Flagstaff will take longer than flying into PHX and driving from there. I would recheck that aspect too. Arriving GCNP at 11:30 PM is NOT a good plan. You have no idea how dark and desolate it is up there after the sun goes down. Try to plan to arrive GCNP before sunset.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GCNP and LV --16th April to 21st April

Remember also, that Arizona does not observe daylight savings, and will therefore be a 3 hour difference from NJ. That means an arrival time at either Flagstaff or the Grand Canyon at 11:30 will be 2:30 your body time. In addition, check the hours of operation for the car rental agencies at Flagstaff airport. Will they even be open at that late hour?

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...