We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

Indiana
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

In no particular order, here are my thoughts regarding my Grand Canyon hike:

1 - We rented camping gear from REI in Phoenix. Good stuff at a fair price. It took a bit longer to get checked out than I thought it should, but my view was certainly impacted by my anxiousness to get out of there so we could get to the Grand Canyon.

2 - Maswik Lodge was basic, clean, comfortable and a good value for the $90 price.

3 - Watching the colors of the canyon change before your eyes from the South Rim as the sun sets was alone worth the trip.

4 - The 7 mile hike down the South Kaibab trail was incredible. A 6:30 AM departure, with the sun rising over the horizon provided for incredible colors that changed by the minute. As advertised, this trail was very steep. It is not one that I would want to hike from the floor up to the rim. During our leisurely four hour hike to the bottom, we only encountered about 20 people. A great hike indeed.

5 - I was very impressed with Bright Angel campground and Phantom Ranch. Both were well cared for and efficiently run operations. Our three Phantom Ranch meals, while first thought to be a bit pricey at $42 for a steak dinner, $20 breakfast and a $12 box lunch, were fabulous. Good food, hot or cold as appropriate, served family style (read that multiple servings on everything except the steak), and served by a hustling waitress with a great attitude. Kudos to the Phantom Ranch food service, I highly recommend it.

6 - It is a shame that campfires are not allowed on the canyon floor. Mind you, I'm not complaining about it. I do understand why that is the case, but it would have been great to have a fire to sit around, resting one's tired legs, while listening to the water from the nearby stream while recapping the day's events. Even without a campfire, it was still a very good camping experience.

7 - The hike back up to the rim via the Bright Angel trail was wonderful. We probably encountered 100+ hikers along the way. There were about a half-dozen mule trains sharing the path, as well. Having drinking water provided at two rest stops along the way was great. Not having to pack enough water for the entire trip helped lighten the load (my pack weighed 40 lbs as it was). The hike out of the canyon took us 8.5 hours.

8 - The weather was perfect the entire two days. There were just a few patches of snow near the rim. The temp was in the low 30s when we started the hike, but quickly climbed to a very comfortable mid-60s. The overnight low when camping was perfect at 50 degrees. On the hike out the temperature climbed to the 60s, but dropped once we got closer to the rim. Dressing in layers is certainly the way to go.

9 - The Grand Canyon is awesome. Hiking to the bottom via the South Kaibab trail, spending a night at Bright Angel campground, and hiking back out the following day on the Bright Angel trail is something that I very highly recommend. It was a great experience.

Baxter

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

Thanks for posting. Your experience is one that can only be appreciated by those who are fortunate enough to actually do it. It requires planning, training and advance reservations. Well done!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

I'm glad the gov't shutdown scare didn't shoot you down (but probably not nearly as glad as you!). Sounds like a most enjoyable experience for you. Thanks for the report, especially the temperatures.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

Glad you had a great trip! We did a similar hike about ten years ago - I would like to go back for another backpacking trip.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences on your hike! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

SJG

5. Re: Trip Report - Hiking the Grand Canyon: April 12th & 13th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:16