We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No room at the Inn....

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
No room at the Inn....

Planning a trip to the Grand Canyon and Sedona over spring break. Two kids, 10 and 7 along with my wife and I.

No room at the Inn...that is any of the National Park lodges..looking for a comfortable, clean room at someplace close. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Sedona...any suggestions about places to stay and sights not to miss in Sedona?

Thanks

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
578 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No room at the Inn....

You may have problems finding accommodation during that busy time. At the Grand Canyon try any of the "national brand" motels and check the tripadvisor reviews for more information.

If you can't find anything in Tusayan (where the GC motels are), you could stay in Flagstaff. In fact staying in Flag might make sense for a family with kids 7 and 10. The Flagstaff Residence Inn would be a good choice (it's great to have kitchen facilities and it's a nice property). If you headquarter there and take day trips to GC and Sedona you wouldn't have to pack and unpack multiple times.

Whatever you decide, do make your reservations right away!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No room at the Inn....

Thanks Diane...I already reserved at room near the GC and one at teh Hilton in Sedona, just in case. How far is Flagstaff and is it short enough so kids don't get "annsy"?

We are flying into Phoenix and staying staying with friends the first couple of days.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No room at the Inn....

You could spend part of your nights in Flagstaff and be close to several other interesting things. We took 20 12 year olds to the canyon two years ago but only spent one night at the canyon. We based in Flagstaff most of the time. From Flagstaff we drove to Petrified Forest National Park painted desert area (It is a long drive but do-able in a day.) Holbrook has native american dancing on the courthouse lawn some nights. It is about 40 miles to Meteror Crater.(Fairly pricey, but interesting), 10 miles to Walnut Canyon (200 steps to the Island trail), 20 or so miles to Wupatki & Sunset Crater. Our kids loved the lava & the cinders of the crater. The visitor center also has a place where kids could jump up and down and it would register on the seismograph they had for that. There are also lava tubes you can go through (didn't get to do that). You can climb to the top of a cindercone volcano that is extinct. Plan on black sooty shoes & what doesn't look much like a volcanoe though. Flagstaff also has the Arizona Snowbowl (a ski lift ride with a great view if the ski season is over.) and the Lowell Observatory, and The Museum of Northern Arizona. From Flagstaff it is also about 30 miles to Sedona. Hope this helps!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No room at the Inn....

I agree with Diane. We (me/wife/son) went to The Grand Canton last Spring Break. Stayed in Flagstaff at the Residence. Roughly two hour (max) drive to the canyon. We then went east. I had to get my picture taken on a corner in Winslow, AZ Tyen headed south to the warmth of Tucson

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No room at the Inn....

I know what age you are..I did the same thing in Winslow about 30 years ago...

Thanks for the tips about Flagstaff....booked a room in Sedona at the Sky Ranch...

Yes, we want to avoid the "junk" s much as we can at the GC...maybe only stay there a night..

Thanks

MD
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No room at the Inn....

kudos to you for your planning.

"sights not to miss in Sedona?"

the pink jeep tour is highly recommended.

this would be a memorable highlight for the kids. the most popular pink jeep tour is the broken arrow tour.

btw, when driving up airport road to sky ranch, there is a vortex site.

also, several indian ruins are in the general area.

hope this helps.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No room at the Inn....

Thanks Made It...I like that handle...

One of the things we always do is plan to stay away from the junk as much as possible. Both of our kids are adopted from China and while there we "discovered" places that not even our group leaded knew about.

Of course we have to hit the high spots but we never want a "Chevy Chase" type of adventure..okay kids, our 15 minutes at the Ditch are up, on to the next sight.

I have heard great things about the Pink Jeep trips. We will make sure and do at least one. Okay to take one in Sedona or should we go somewhere else?

What about a horseback trail ride..the kids really would like to do that and their Dad and Mom could poke along...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

4me
PA
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No room at the Inn....

why not stay at a condo in Flagstaff or Sedona? We are going in April and are staying in Flagstaff for 2 nights in a condo and Sedona for 4 in a housewhich has it's own hot tub all cheaper then a hotel PLUS you have a washer and dryer. I went to Redrockrealty.net and foothillsrentals.com also in Flagstaff I searched on VRBO.com.

just a thought

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No room at the Inn....

Hi Nick and family

First what time of the year are you planning your trip here? I didn't see that posted. That makes a big difference.

dcmsteach has some great advice about flgastaff. For what the kidlets might like is the pink jeep tours as mentioned

www.pinkjeep.com

also in Sedona on Scenic 89a is a fish hatchery that they might enjoy. They can catch fish or just play in the stream. There is slide rock state park which is best in Spring/Summer although with our funny weather right now last week it was 63deg go figure.

www.visitsedona.com

You and the kids will like the Sedona Hilton loads to do and a great property my sister worked there for 3 yrs. Its right off of I -17 either the 1st or second light make a left can't remember exactly which one. They have a good resteraunt that has awsome breakfast also there is a krispy cream doughnut shop within walking distance. Talk to one of the gals at the concierge desk and they can arrange horesback riding ect for you as well.

Lets see you mentioned drive times. Its 1 1/2 hrs to get to Sedona from Phx. Then from Sedona to Flagstaff via 89a its about 45 min depending on what part of town you leave from. Stop at the scenic look out at the top. Its kind of a windey road so they might get a little motion sickness but not to worry. Its the best way to go there.

Now if you can't stay at the canyon there is Flagstaff or Williams but not much other than the train for them to do in Williams. In Flagstaff I reccomend the Inn at NAU located near downtown but is also on campus but you'd never know read the reviews on tripadvisor

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~theinn-p/new/index.php?content=rooms

The Embassy Suites are great and located near downtown includes a cooked breakfast.

In Flagstaff there is the museum of northern arizona which usually has events in the summer

http://www.musnaz.org/ there is lowell observatory, Walnut canyon, Wupatki/Sunset Crater is about a 25 min drive from Flagstaff past the mall on 89 N headed twards Page.

On the way to the canyon you can make a short stop at Spirit Mtn Ranch which has the white buffallos and is located on 180 from Flagstaff to the Canyon. That takes about 1 1/2 hrs depends on traffic if you get stuck behind a slow moving motorhome ect.

Just give a hollar if you have more questions

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No room at the Inn....

DragonFlyLady

What a wealth of info...thanks.

We are headed to Phoenix on March 8, leaving to head back to Madison on the 17th..

I booked a rooom at the Sky Canyon Ranch in Sedona...read some of the reviews here with mixed info. Can you lend a hand there?

I did have a room booked at the Hilton but cancelled it....I know I can get back in..

I also booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express just outside the GC..just a place to flop and not really expecting too much. We all despise the "junk" stuff with any popular spot but I guess there is no way to avoid some of it.

Really pretty flexible about staying in Sedona, have heard the Matterhorn is a good spot. Your opinion.

This is a great way not to fly blind to a new place...Thanks..Nick