We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley from GCNP

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley from GCNP

I've only just naively got onto the fact that Monument Valley isn't so far away from GCNP South rim.

Our current itinerary for this part of the trip (and I do know it is rushed, we are literally sight seeing, photographing - we are not hikers but appreciate the outdoors - please bear in mind it is unlikely we'll ever get the chance to head out this way again).

Fly in to Vegas late Saturday night, get a rental car drive to Boulder City. Sleep in a cheap-o motel.

Sunday - wake up refreshed and off to the Hoover Dam for an hour or so around 9am-10am, grab some food for the drive, then on the road to the Grand Canyon National Park. Arrive around 3pm.

Sunday night - Get some food from the shops in GCNP and have a picnic watching the sunset. I saw this idea on another post and loved it! Stay in Yavapai lodge (is this decent enough? we can get availability it is this or hotels in Tuyasan at the moment - none of the reviews are sparkling for any of the places except El Tovar & co.)

Monday morning - Get up early to watch the sunrise over the canyon. The plan was to head out back to Las Vegas at this point, but with the introduction of monument valley, I'm thinking of lingering in GCNP until about 11am, then heading up to Kayenta, taking some snaps, maybe staying over there somewhere (not much choice I know) and then make the longggg drive back to Las Vegas on the Tuesday.

I know we don't have much time.

Is the area around Kayenta the kind of thing you'd see in the films/Westerns? It seems to be from what I can see. Is it worth this extra few hours/sleep over to see it bearing everything I said in mind?

The more I look at it (just found Goulding Lodge/The View hotel) the more I really want to go, but does the schedule sound too punishing?

Thanks in advance for any replies to any bit of the post :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,202 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

There is nothing to see in Kayenta. You need to go to the Tribal park at Monument Valley, about 25 miles farther up the road. If you can stay over night at the View or Gouldings it will be worth it. Driving back to LV the next day will take about 7-8 hours. If I could only find a room in Kayenta I'd probably skip it completely. Waking up in MV would make it worth while.

To be honest though, I can think of many other places, more convenient to the GCNP and LV than MV. I'm not sure I'd go all the way up there when I could visit Sedona or Page or Bryce and Zion with less driving and in such a short amount of time.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

I will take a look at those suggestions thank you! I have managed to get a room in The View so will likely go up there.

Are there places to stop along the desert roads? I'm thinking for petrol/food/toilet stops? Nothing fancy required of course, I'm just not used to not having amenities every 20 miles or so!!

I'm even more excited now than I was when we decided to go to GCNP!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,202 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

Very few places to stop along the way. There is a grocery store at Kayenta. Congrats on scoring the View.

Ontario
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

Yavapai Lodge is fine and is a much better location than anything in Tusayan.

I'm not sure when you are going, but you can keep calling Xanterra to check for cancellations at the other properties in the park.

Between GC Village and Monument Valley, you can find gas/snacks at Desert View at the east exit of GCNP, (the tower at Desert View is worth a visit for sure), Cameron, Tuba City and Kayenta on the way to MV. You will love The View!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

Thank you folks. I dropped Xanterra a line and they have a cabin (all connected not free standing) available on the date we want to go for Bright Angel - just off to check the reviews which I think are pretty good from memory - very lucky people as it is only a few weeks until we go!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,202 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

If they had a cabin available and you didn't book it right then, they probably won't have it when you call back.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

They are holding the reservation for us until next Saturday which is great. I am trying to establish if the historic cabins have a toilet and sink in them, not bothered about a shared bath/shower but like to have my own toilet and sink.....can't seem to find this info anywhere though, some in there aren't ensuite so need to drop them a line again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

All cabins have a private bath, some of the lodge rooms do not.

https:/…bright-angel-lodge-408.html

I loved our cabin there!

Edited: 15 May 2011, 22:49
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

Thank you for that! I was a little confused by the lodge/cabin thing! I can't wait to stay now, I was a bit sad when I thought we'd have to stay in Tuyasan but so happy to have got Bright Angel and also The View at Monument Valley !! :) Doubly happy girl!

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley from GCNP

I took tourist from France thru that area last year. Here's the itinerary: DAY 1- left Vegas 5am to avoid traffic and headed to the Grand Canyon (Hoover Dam Bridge was still under construction, no stop). Arrive at GC about 10am and spent the entire day, including sunset, there. Drove to Oraibi, AZ (Hopi Indian Reservation) and stayed at my Aunts. DAY 2- Toured several Hopi Villages including the Hopi Cultural Center on Second Mesa, drove to Ganado AZ to tour Hubbell's Trading Post. Ate lunch in Chinle then drove the south rim drive of Canyon DeChelly only stopping at Spider Rock and Whitehouse Ruins overlook. Drove to Monument Valley, toured the park and stayed at The View. DAY 3- Next Posting