We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon for 4 days

Raleigh, NC
10 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon for 4 days

We are going to be at the Grand Canyon for 4 days in early may. Have never been. Like to hike but no more than 5 or 6 hours a day. Concerning lodging, should we stay at one place as headquarters or move each day as we travel? Can anyone recommend lodging? Also are there special viewing spots not to miss? Mules? Is that really a good idea? Help!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon for 4 days

i prefer to base camp. we stay in flagstaff at www.littleamerica.com, but if you are planning your entire stay around grand canyon then it is better to stay near the rim.

www.angelsgatetours.com is a must. we've done a number of there tours, and just did there sky island hike yesterday. outstanding!

we didn't really enjoy the mules, but we're not really riders. got some blisters where you don't usually expect to get them...

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon for 4 days

Hi and welcome NanaKate

The lodging question is a little confusing. Are you going to be staying in the Canyon the whole 4 days or are you going to different parts of Northern arizona? If its just in the park I'd stay there the whole 4 days. No need unpacking every night. But if you are going to other destinations the park is a bit of a drive from different sites.

I'd also read the sticky at the top of the Az forum about the GC loads of info there as well.

If you don't want to stay in the park there is Tusayan which is about 15 mins away from S rim, Flagstaff which is 1 1/2 hrs or Williams which is 1 hr. The El TOvar at the rim is nice but pricy. Go here and check out the info or call the # for more details

nps.gov/grca/…lodging.htm

Are you doing your own thing or are you interested in doing a group tour? The visitors center there should also be able to set you up with some guided hikes.

www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/map.html

Happy trails....