We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Tovar or Maswik

ann arbor, MI
Level Contributor
70 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
El Tovar or Maswik

Traveling in April to GCNP for the first time with my husband and two kids (8 & 14). We can stay at the El Tovar in two (single) rooms or all stay together in one one room at the Maswik Lodge. I know it sounds like a personal preference but I'm wondering from those who have stayed at both if you'd still pick the El Tovar even if it meant having to get two rooms?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

Do the math. Having 2 rooms at El Tovar would be 4X the cost of one room at Maswik?

Maswik is clean, comfortable and safe. But it's what is outside that matters. The room is for sleeping. You shouldn't be in it during the day. Do El Tovar for breakfast.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

I haven't stayed at El Tovar but have stayed several times at Maswik and it was fine. Not sure the ambience at El Tovar is worth the extra cost.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,991 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

Choose Maswick to keep your family together. ET is cool, but not that great that I would break up the family unit with small kids.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

Stay at Maswik, but definitely find the time to wander around El Tovar, get a meal there (breakfast is wonderful), sit on the veranda, check out the lobby and gift shop. It really is a grand lodge, full of history and character. Unless money is absolutely no object, I still would not opt for a family stay there, definitely a good place for a couple, but head to Maswik for the family stay.

senneville
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

We are a family with two kids, we really enjoy our stay at Maswik, room are large with balcony. Cafeteria has food for all taste. ET is fun for a visit and a meal.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 01:53
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

If you have family and kids then Maswik is more suitable. I looked at both before booking last time and although El Tovar is a little closer we went with the family feel of the Maswik. If it was just two of us we would have gone with El Tovar.

7. Re: El Tovar or Maswik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 17:16