We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Hi!

My dad is 80 years old and traveling from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, staying at the El Tovar. He doesn't want to drive as it is a bit tiring at this age.

Are there any buses or "tours" where he can take from Vegas to Grand Canyon? There is a tour from Viator to Grand Canyon's South Rim but doesn't allow luggage.

I've been looking at the forum and noted Maverick Air, Grand Canyon Express, and Grand Canyon Airlines service Grand Canyon National Park Airport but can't seem to find any flight schedules except for GC Express.

I am trying to be a "dutiful" daugther making the trip as smooth as possible. Are there any other suggestions? Need to get him from Vegas to Grand Canyon's El Tovar . Then a return from Grand Canyon back to San Francisco.

HELP!!! Happy Trails! Thanks everyone!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

There are no regularly scheduled commercial flights to the GC Airport other than tours.

Sometimes, those tours will allow an add on passenger if the tour is not filled. You cannot rely on this though. I suggest that you call The carriers, Maverick and Papillon,and inquire directly with them.

The same possibility exists with some of the coach tours too. But you will need to speak to the carrier themselves, not a third party booking agent like Viator.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,054 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

The only overnight tour of which I am aware is offered by Grand Canyon Tour Company. They offer both with lodging and transportation only.

grandcanyontourcompany.com/nightbusp.html

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

We went rafting this summer taking luggage with us and booked on Vision Air 702-647-7700. We took the park's shuttle bus from the airport to our hotel (Bright Angel Lodge which is next to El Tovar) on the South Rim. Make sure you purchase your park entrance tickets at the airport before you board the shuttle. Everything was a short walk. Enjoy your trip!

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,054 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

The are no transportation only flights available when searching online. Vision Airlines has terrible reviews here in TA, and does not show either Las Vegas or Grand Canyon as a destination on their web site.

Perhaps K-Bot will jump in here and clarify. The only transportation-only option of which I am aware is as posted above, Grand Canyon Tour Company coach tour which offers an overnight option with or without lodging.

I did find an overnight tour from Las Vegas Grand Canyon Tour Company, if this is current. lasvegasgrandcanyontour.com/AIR-grand-canyon…

Edited: 06 October 2011, 20:57
Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments! Appreciate them very much!

Since dad is elderly, I prefer to get him on the plane which is a shorter ride than being on a bus/van to GC.

Ishouldbediving mentioned Vision Airlines. Would love to hear about your experience since you actually did it. Were they dependable? Did you feel safe? What was were the points of destinations and cost for transport ion? THANKS!

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Hi there!

Thanks again for providing information for Vision Airlines. I did look online but Grand Canyon or Arizona cities were not listed. Was your trip "chartered" ? Thanks!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Thank you kindly for the props Bob :)

Both Scenic/Grand Canyon Airlines and Vision Holidays have been the subject of bad reviews. The fact is, all tour providers have been loved, hated and everything in between. Since your dad only requires straight transport instead of a tour package, that leaves a little less room for service failure, but still, having to rely on someone else's schedule, equipment, etc., is never ideal. However, if driving is simply not an option, then it "is what it is" as folks like to say nowadays. Back in my day it was "what it is."

But anyhoo.... (sorry I had a full weekend and am a little punchy from being tired) ... as RedRox says, do work directly with the carrier and not through a third party booking agency. Though most of these companies like Viator, Vegas.com, and GrandCanyon.com (just to name a few) are fine and well-established companies, any time you have special needs in play - such as with an older passenger, especially if there are mobility issues - you always want to eliminate any "middlemen."

In addition to Vision Holidays, you might also try Scenic/Grand Canyon Airlines. Their direct #'s are 702-638-3297; of for some reason that doesn't work try 702-736-7243. The latter number is actually that of Papillon Helicopters, but Scenic is actually part of their corporate holdings, so they can help you with any Scenic product at that number as well. Another thing is if your Pop has a walker, wheelchair or any mobility aids or issues, please be sure the carrier you end up with is well aware of these so their staff can be prepared in advance.

Good luck, please let us know how things go.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Just to add to K-Bot. You need to understand that IF you are able to arrange a flight with one of the providers listed, it will be as a courtesy to you and your father. He would be accommodated as an add on passenger to what will otherwise be a complete tour package. Whatever fare they charge will be unpublished and whatever services they provide should be appreciated as they are providing a service that is beyond the scope of their normal routine.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,054 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

Vision Holidays is the same as Vision Air, 800 256 8767. I would call them direct as they do appear to provide transportation only options to GCNP SR, and are the provider of the overnight tour which was in my post above.

10. Re: Flights to Grand Canyon National Park airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:19