We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon advice please

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
grand canyon advice please

Trying to plan a 50th anniversary trip to the Grand Canyon for our parents. They are active and healthy. They're leaning toward flying into Phoenix but LasVegas is an option. Where would be a good base for several nights to be able to drive to GC and any other things to do. I've been to North Rim and could plan that trip easily. Never to South Rim or other parts of Arizona. What is Sedona like? Would like to avoid any big-city feel. Thanks!!

Edited: 28 January 2012, 06:13
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,481 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon advice please

…go.com/Travel/…

That link will give you a taste of what Sedona is like. Then try this one.

www.visitsedona.com

Sedona makes a great base for a northern AZ vacation. It's 2 hours north of PHX and 2 hours south of the GCNP. The ideal way to visit the GCNP at the South Rim is to drive and spend a night inside the park in one of the park lodges. El Tovar is the top choice, but any of the park lodges is great. A day trip from Sedona is also a possibility, but an overnight in the park will make the visit much much better.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page for more info and ideas.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon advice please

Drivng to the GCNP from Phoneix is more scenic than frm Vegas - and if you plan to go to Sedona, Phboenix is the best choice anyway.

You should really include one or two nights inside the GCNP for your folks, but you need to make reservations ASAP, as these lodges always fill up way in advance. If the lodges are full, you can get them a room for a night at the hotels in Tusayan which is right by the western/southern exit of the GCNP and but a few minutes - drive from the rim.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon advice please

Give you the sites for GC just in case...

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

www.tusayanhotels.com

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon advice please

Would your parents be ok with splitting up their trip between two different areas?

Cause everyone here saying just to stay inside the park overnight is definitely giving you good advice.

The Page area is another option to Sedona. I personally would pick it over Sedona (but only during certain times of the year and I'll admit I haven't been to Sedona - only saw pictures and looked at nearby activities).

I'd only pick Page if I could fly either roundtrip into Flagstaff or Page or fly in Page and out Flagstaff. Page is farther from Phoenix than Sedona.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon advice please

Page looks like a great option, although quite a distance. That's the real heart of my question...places to stay. I'll definitely book a night inside the park. Great advice.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon advice please

Candi-lee, i would recommend they fly into Phx, stay in Sedona and plan one night at the GCNP - El Tovar is a grand historical hotel that is an experience in itself. Sedona is so beautiful and if they have not seen it, they will love it.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand canyon advice please

You did omit the time frame you are looking for, and your budget. Sedona and Internal Grand Canyon Lodges are tourist juggernauts and should be treated as such. Tusayan hotels definetely lack the charm that the lodges possess. Keep in mind that finding accomodations now isn't too bad ,but ramps up considerably in the spring. You can't compare Flagstaff to Phoenix, but Flagstaff would probably give that big city feel, but might give better accomodation options if you are looking for centralized. Your Parent's 50th is special though, so the budjet aspect likely should be omitted. Sedona provides a lot of accomodation options, but the more regarded ones are somewhat financially bloated.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand canyon advice please

Good points! Dates aren't determined yet but maybe June or August. April or September are possibilities too. It's all wide open. Cost is always an issue. They aren't fussy about the kinds of places they stay (like I am!) but an area of beauty and discovery and a place you can get your needs met without always having to get in the car would be perfect. Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand canyon advice please

I listed Page as another option but reading more about your parents and your constraints, I think Sedona is the right choice.

If they do go to Page and you pick April, I'd enter "The Wave" permit lottery right away (you have to enter before the end of this month for tickets in April). You only have about 10% chance of winning the tickets but worth a shot since it's gorgeous and only 40 people are allowed into the area a day. Here's some photos of it if you don't know what it is.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701-6&sz=all&va=wave+arizona

FYI, the time of year makes a big difference in terms of weather so I'd pick the months with the better weather.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 14:18
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grand canyon advice please

You indicate that your folks want to avoid feeling as though they're in/near a big city. If crowds contribute to that feeling, then you may want to time their visit for sometime other than April or June.

April is within the spring break travel period (Easter is April 8th this year) and summertime is when it gets crazy-busy around here. You might consider planning their visit for late September or early October. That time of year is marked by nearly picture perfect weather (not too hot, not too cold as the snow has yet to start flying), and thinning crowds as most schoolkids are back to the grind after Labor Day. Plus all of the activities, hotels, etc. are still up and running. If you're able to coordinate their visit for around the 3rd week in September, that's when the fall foliage on the North Rim is usually peaking and it's absolutely gorgeous up there.

The North Rim visitor facilities close on October 15th but the South Rim is open year-round. Video discussing pros & cons of all 4 seasons (forward to the :40 mark for info on autumn) http://youtu.be/Jq7hayjEcs8