We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yavapai or Maswik?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Yavapai or Maswik?

both are available for the 2 nights we need - either north room at maswik or east room at yavapai...which would you recommend? closer to rim vs. closer to general store area? we're 2 adults/2 teens spending 2 nights in the park.

thanks for your comments!

lwbc

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Maswick, closer to rim.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

I'd also choose closer proximity to the rim over the vicinity of the general store ANY time! After all, this is the Grand Canyon we're talking about - hence, yes, the Maswick.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

that's what we're leading towards...what is each for walking distance to the rim...5 mins vs. 15 mins?

thanks,

lwbc

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Those numbers are about right.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

thanks for the comments.

I'm assuming both properties are pretty comparable re: size, etc? There are 4 of us to the room so any little bit helps!

lwbc

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

too late to edit above post...it also seems like the TA reviews for Maswik really aren't that great...are the rooms that bad that the bonus of better location (vs. Yavapai) is out weighed? The reviews of Yavapai seem to be much better.

comments to help me make my decision? No, we don't plan on spending tons of time in the room but I want to make sure the north rooms are decent.

thanks,

lwbc

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Disregard the reviews. Call Xanterra and confirm that the room will sleep your party. That is the priority. Being inside the park is the next priority. Take whatever works.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Thanks RedRox. We're in the park either way...and yes room will fit our party. Hard to disregard the crappy reviews of Maswik vs. good reviews of Yavapai so that's why I thought I'd seek out some recent stays/comments.

Any recent stays at Maswik?

thanks,

lwbc

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

We stayed at a Maswik cabin and it was fine. Typical National Park lodging. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was certainly adequate. We ate in the cafeteria in the main lodge a few times, too, and it was again, fine. Nothing to write home about, but convenient and the kids liked it fine. Our location was fairly close to the rim and we walked back and forth several times. I would pick the Maswick again all things considered.

This was last summer, June 2011.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 14:06
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

thanks Pancho. Maswik it is.

lwbc