We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Rim Viewpoints

Texas
Level Contributor
321 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
North Rim Viewpoints

I am trying to plan our early October itinerary, we'll be driving from Page to North Rim, probably on the road by 9-10am. I believe we should have plenty of time to take the road over to Point Imperial before checking in at Frontier Cabin. Will we also have time for the drive to Cape Royal that day, or should we do that the next morning before heading to Zion? Or vice versa, if time for only one? I have no clue how much time to alot for each of these drives. We will not be doing any hiking, just viewpoints and pictures.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

Page to the park entrance will take most of 3 hours. You'll need another 3-4 hours to tour those viewpoints to the east. Expect the line and crowd for check in at the lodge to increase by late afternoon. I've seen that crowd swell to a one hour wait. This is why I disregard the myth about smaller crowds at the NR. Fewer people yes. Fewer facilities is why.

Texas
Level Contributor
321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

Thanks for that! Maybe I can figure out a plan to be near the Lodge as soon as checkin is available! Otherwise, we'll just chill out and relax somewhere with a cocktail and a view until the crowd subsides.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

You could see them both the next day and enjoy the viewpoints by the lodge the first night.

If you decide to only go to one I'd recommend Cape Royal. It is so pretty there.

Texas
Level Contributor
321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

Would we have plenty of time to see both viewpoints the next day before heading to Zion? How long should we allow for the trip from North Rim to Zion Lodge?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

NR to Zion is 2-3 hours depending on traffic in East Zion and back ups at the tunnel. So yes, you could do the view points in the morning. The important thing is to take time at the parks and not to rush to check off view points.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

I would go to point Imperial on your arrival day. From Point Imperial to the lodge is about 20 minutes. Once you check in, take the trail out to Bright Angel Point, then settle in on the lodge deck or dining room to take in the sunset.

On day 2 go to Cape Royal. From the lodge to Cape Royal is about 45 minutes. On your way out to Cape Royal there are other viewpoints - Roosevelt Point, Vista Encantada and the Walhala Overlook. At Cape Royal be show to take the short hike out to Angels Window. Take time to take it all in.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 11:53
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,499 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

Yes also agree to see one of the two points before check-in! You don't have to be there right at 4:00 for check-in. Sometimes you room will be ready before that time, other times it won't!

Definitely enjoy the Bright Angel Point trail!

Relax your time table and enjoy the beauty of the North Rim!

SJG

Texas
Level Contributor
321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

Perfect! Thanks to all of you! This is exactly what I needed to know. We are retired so our trip is not rushed, but we still want to maximize our time at each location. And the fact that I am a perfectionist might enter into it. But experience has taught me it's okay to over-plan, but then just relax and go with the flow when we get there, usually just following my general outline. Thanks again.

9. Re: North Rim Viewpoints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:41