We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

flying in to Vegas first week of June 2013 and renting a car for about 10 days with family of three teens. This will be our "trip of a lifetime" before kids start off to college. I know I need to book rooms quickly. We want to do hiking in GC, float trip, slot canyon hummer trip, hike to horseshoe and dam tour in Page, see sunset, sunrise and backcountry tour at Mon. Valley [and maybe go to escalante???], hikes in Zion and horse ride in Bryce. We could also do this backwards ending with the GC.

Is there any reason why we should start in GC and end in Zion or do it the other way, starting in Zion and ending in GC? Also, do you have any suggested routes and travel times between each of these destinations that would take us by some picturesque roadside views not already mentioned?

Thanks! Will post in Utah forum as well.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

Kudos on you for making your trip plans well in advance :) Here's a map of your proposed route with Grand Canyon first on the agenda ->: http://g.co/maps/d6cyv As for order in which to make the stops, for most it revolves around when they can find lodging in the Grand Canyon. Since you're making your plans so far ahead you can almost take your pick. In-park is always most desirable; visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757 to check availability and pricing.

I'd say go ahead and plan on hitting Grand Canyon first as that will be one of the longer legs of your tour and most people prefer to get the longer drives out of the way first. Then if you put Zion at the end of your tour, by staying in Springdale, that would put you within 3 hours of Las Vegas.

No matter what you decide (order, activities, etc.) be sure to buy an America the Beautiful Federal Lands Access pass. For $80 this card gets you access to all the National Parks and Monuments in the US (except for Monument Valley - it's a Native American Tribal Parks) for 1 year's time. It will pay for itself on the trip you're considering.

Have fun!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

So it would be Vegas - Grand Canyon (about 5 hrs driving direct). You could do a detour and drive historic route 66 instead between Kingman and Seligman. This is more scenic than I-17 - plus no trucks, and you'd get to see the nostalgic Hackberry General Store, Peach Springs and Seligman. Stay one or two nights at the GC, two if you want to hike, one night if you mainly want to explore the rim.

enter GCNP by the south gate and do the rim drive, leave by the east gate and go to Page, up to 3 hrs pure driving from east gate to Page. spend two nights there

Add Antelope Caqnyon to Page if you have the time - it's unique.

One Night Monument Valley - do the guided back country tour and book a room soon (The View).

Then Bryce (one night) - Zion (two nights) - Vegas

or reverse ... but I'd also start with the longer route first. GCNP and MV lodging should be your priority for booking.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

Arrival and departure times for Vegas can help you pick the order, but by the time you get that set you should already have booked in park lodging so do that and go from there. Which way around you go doesn't really matter beyond how much you want to drive at the start or the end as the only significant mileage day is the one back or from Vegas to the Grand Canyon.

Your lodging priorities are GC and MV.

When I did basically this trip in 2009 I spent night one in Vegas 2-4 in Springdale and the last two in Vegas as well... I did Sedona though not MV.

That drive, via Oatman, with a couple of stops was closer to 8 hours.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

If you want tol drive ut12 (Escalante) drive from Monument Valley up the Moki Dugway and ut95 to Hanksville and ut24 to Capitol Reef NP. Torrey to Bryce via ut12 after that. Monument Valley to Bryce is not a one days drive this way. Best to stay Torrey fro the night. If you want to skip those great highways ut95 and 12, go from GC to Monument Valley first and to Page after that. Bryce will be next stop.

Tet

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'm going to post an updated itinerary to see what everyone thinks!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

WEell wait for that!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

We just took pretty much the same trip (GC-SR, Horseshoe, Escalante, Bryce, Zion, LV) and it was amazing.

Based on some discussions I had on here and with some folks at the destinations, we did NOT stop in Page (except to hike H.Bend, which doesnt take long) and did not go to MV. Our kids are a bit younger than yours (10, 10 and 13) but big climbers (on a team here) so we really wanted to do the slot canyons, that is really climb them, not just in a crowded tour like Antelope. So instead, we spent three nights in Escalante, and it was the highlight of our trip. We took a whole day driving from South Rim to Esc. (stops at HBend, Lunch at Rolling V, Moqui Cave, etc.) and then spent two days in canyons. The first day we went with a guide from Excursions of Escalante and learned the tricks of canyoneering, and climbed, rapeled and slid our way through a beautiful slot canyon...with no one in sight. Then the next day we drove Route 12 (breakfast at Hell's Backbone...yum!) and then spent the rest of the day hiking Spooky and Peekaboo with our new found skills. It would be very memorable for your kids, if they are interested. Any questions on this or any other sights, send me a pm.

8. Re: best order to do these: LV, GC, Page, MonValley, Zion, Bryce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:16