We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

Hi all! I was wondering where along the drive from Las Vegas I could stop to buy (food) supplies for my hike such as water, snacks, etc. I'm sure I could find a walmart in Vegas, but I have a feeling things will be more expensive there.

So any advice as to where to stop for affordable supplies would be greatly appreciated!

Counting down the days for this very unique experience!! Only 25 days left!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

Not sure that you will find prices cheaper than in LV due to their tax structure. However, it could a real time-waster to drive around in that sprawling, traffic-clogged city looking to save a few pennies.

Your obvious stop would be in Kingman, which is "easy-off,easy-on" to the I-40. You can actually see some of the major supermarkets from the freeway.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

Actually, a really nice little market not too far from the GC (consider you might want fresh stuff) is in Ash Fork. You get off I-40 and drive about a quarter mile to the entrance to Ash Fork. There's a gas station there on your left just as you enter town, with a small market. It's called Ted's Corral Market. I always stop there when I'm passing. They have any beverage you might want, as well as all the basic stuff, plus hot and cold snacks, fresh produce (maybe, not always). If you wanted to, say stock up for picnics and campiung, they've got whatever you need, and it's no detour really. And they have extremely friendly and helpful staff.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

Don't panic is you forget something after your market trip! The Grand Canyon's grocery store is fully stocked and you more then likely will find what you "forgot" there!!

Enjoy

SJG

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

I agree with SJG. The Market in the park is a full-blown store, not just a "convenience" store, and prices are competitive. It also has a decent gear section, including backpacking fuels (which you cannot fly with.)

There is also a free water filling station in the Market. Note that individual bottled waters are no longer sold in the park (they do sell gallons.)

I generally fly with all my backpacking food and pick up any last minute things and fuel at the Market. The only thing I might stop to pick up are BIC lighters, which they don't sell in the park.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,329 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

Agreeing that the market at the park is as good as anything along the way, maybe even better, because their inventory is geared for GCNP visitors. Another good town though would be Williams.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

There is a Safeway in Williams which is where you'll exit I-40 to head to the canyon. From there, it will be about an hour to get into the park.

If you're not looking to purchase perishables, it might actually be less expensive to buy groceries in Las Vegas since it's a major city with lots of competition nearer to regional hubs. There are major groceries easily accessible from the highway (0% tax on retail groceries not for immediate consumption). AZ has no tax on groceries, but I think Williams may add a small percentage of city tax. Plus, Williams is far from other stores, so it's probably not the least expensive option. I have not shopped in the park grocery, but I would be surprised if it's not a bit more for the fact that it's customer base is a captive audience. I know that's certainly the case in other national parks where I have shopped. Glad it's there for "just in case", but I wouldn't make it my primary stop if I had a lot to stock up on.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

OK, let's be realistic. The OP isn't talking about throwing a dinner for a hundred. Driving out of the way to save a percent or two on 3 days' worth of backpacking food hardly seems worth the time. At $4 a gallon for gas, I'm not even sure you actually save anything.

Colaana, I think you have two nights at BA Campground, right? Did you book any meals at Phantom Ranch? They're a little expensive but it's fun to have at least one meal in the Cantine. I think I remember you saying that you're a backpacking newbie... do you have any ideas about what kind of foods you're going to take? Will you be packing a stove to cook with?

I usually purchase and portion out all of my backpacking food at home and fly with everything. I find this to be much more efficient, both in terms of shopping and what I take on the trail. When I try to shop on the road, I find that I buy much more than I need. I also recommend taking things that you *know* you like; a backpacking trip isn't the best time to experiment with new foods.

For this hike, my suggestion is to take exactly what you need and no more. You might even take a little less. You can buy additional snacks at Phantom Ranch for the hike out but, overall, it's best to lighten your load as much as you can. (My husband spent the entire hike out trying to give away the extra 5lb of Cliff Bars he'd insisted on taking...)

You'll find everything you need at the Market in the park, including dehydrated/freeze-dried backpacking meals. If you're bringing a stove, bring a BIC lighter (you're now allowed to bring one in your carry-on); it's the one thing the store doesn't sell. You can buy gas canisters at the Market. They should also have HEET if you have an alcy stove.

FlagstaffTraveler, you should stop by the Market sometime. I think you'd be surprised; it's much more than a "just in case" store. I've been in quite a few national parks stores and the GC store is somewhat unusual.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 17:55
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

I definitely agree with DTF....the Grand Canyon grocery store is loaded! We actually found our fuel canister cheaper there then at a bigger outdoor type store! There is also a full deli there for that quick sandwich!

I also try to bring as much with us as we possibly can excluding the heavier items like protein bars and the like! The Phantom Ranch lunch sack is loaded with food items that you literately can eat off of for two days! Might be something to look into to purchase and it's much easier to obtain! You can also buy coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate for breakfast there at their "take-out" window around the side!

SJG

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

While Colaanna is asking about "hiking" supplies, you can bet they are going to get hungry on the long drive to GC. You can also bet they are going to want to bust into those supplies along the way. I always recommend getting the food at the start or close to the start of the trip and then replenish if needed at destination. I am pretty sure the goods will be cheaper in Kingman than any of the other places suggested. Of course this assumes they don't stop at Seligman for a juicy burger!

Edited: 03 April 2012, 18:16
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery stores along the way to GCNP

DTF you're right about the two nights at BA campground. I also have two dinners and two breakfasts booked, so I'm primarily looking for snacks and lunch.

The things we're thinking of bringing are crackers, peanut butter, cheese strings, granola bars, trail mix, etc. I got these from the hit the trail website and some treads here. Please feel free to add suggestions!

Also thinking of buying some water bottles for "just in case" as we have 2L water bladders that will hopefully be enough.

The market seems like a good option for whatever we forget/can't bring from home, but we'll still need to stop somewhere to get water. We'll probably be stopping around Kingman for lunch (heard in-n-out burger was good from American friends) so we'll look around that area for bottled water.

Thanks for all the suggestions!