We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom with babies Grand Canyon

Chandler
1 post
Save Topic
Mom with babies Grand Canyon

OK, call me crazy, but I'm doing this. I'm taking my kiddos to the canyon this weekend. Hubby can't make it, and I've tried rescheduling a few times so that he and I both can go, but it's not hapening. So, I am braving it myself. Will be me, my 13yo daughter (who no doubt will be a huge help), possibly my 13yo's friend, my 5yo girl (who always stays close to my side), my 6mo old, and my son who is almost 3 and likes to run & climb and give me a heart attack on a daily basis. Any suggestions (other than the leash I will have him on), for as smooth a trip as possible to this wonderful site. I would postpone another year if I could, but promised the 13yo we would go this year, since she had to miss her school trip to it (they wanted us to pay nearly $400 for her to go with the school for one night & two days). Figured I would get my money's worth and spend less if we went as a family.

We will be visiting the South Rim.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 08:18
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom with babies Grand Canyon

Hope you already have a reservation.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom with babies Grand Canyon

With young children like that, you definitely don't want to come here without a reservation. We're in peak visitation period, so hotels sell out, and cities are very spread out around here. Driving around till the wee hours of the night to find sub-standard overpriced lodging is enough of a drag when it's just you and the hubby, magnify that 10X with kids in the car!

I'm 99.9999% sure you're too late to find lodging inside the park. You might still be able to find something in Tusayan/Grand Canyon Village South just outside the park if you act quickly. Tusayan hotels tend to be more kid-friendly anyway, they have amenities like continental breakfast, in-room wi-fi, and some even have small video arcades (the Best Western & Grand). The Holiday Inn Express & Grand Hotels have heated indoor pools, but hanging out there shouldn't be a priority. If you're unable to find lodging in Tusayan, next best options will be Williams, 1 hour South of the park and Flagstaff 90 minutes Southeast. More info on hotels ->: http://bit.ly/FQ2Leb

Try to stay 2 nights if you can, that will give you the most time to really explore and enjoy the canyon. Start with the Grand Canyon Village Historic District, maybe take one of the shuttles out to the Hermit's Rest/West Rim Drive. On your way home, maybe take the long way round and travel via Highway 64 East out the Desert View/East Rim Drive to Cameron, then South via Highway 89 and I-17.

3. Re: Mom with babies Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:41