We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter and plane seating - Papillon

ashford in kent
Level Contributor
70 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter and plane seating - Papillon

I am planning a helicopter ride over the South rim with Papillon. I have read that seats are allocated on weight but what does it really mean. Has anyone had to sit in the middle ? What is the view really like ? I've read that you can pay a premium for front seats but this isn't guaranteed ? How does that work if you have paid $50 each ??

Any hints or comments would be very much appreciated

In addition we will be flying to the South Rim also with Papillon. Is it possible to book window seats on this plane. Does anyone have knowledge / experience of seating on this.

As it is all about the views, the seating situation is a real worrying for me. I am booking this as a very special secret 50th birthday present and I want it to be the best it can be.

Love to hear from you

Thank you

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter and plane seating - Papillon

@mandbtl: Hi there. It is possible to pay for a front seat upgrade on the helicopters and a window seat upgrade on the airplanes. If you pay for it, you're 95% guaranteed of getting a front and/or window seat, but if a situation arises where the pilot in command has absolutely NO CHOICE but to reseat you elsewhere for safety reasons, he/she has that right. It doesn't happen that often, but weight and balance are crucial to the safety of these operations. I'm sure if you paid for a front seat upgrade and didn't receive it, you'd get your $$ back.

As for sitting in the middle, I've done it many times. I'm in the industry and have logged a fair amount of hours as a passenger on both airplanes and helicopters. In my position, I am obligated to let the customers like yourself have the best seats - after all, you're paying for it, I'm just along for the ride - so people like me always get assigned to the worst seat on the ship. But, it's all relative. For example, last time I flew over the canyon in a helicopter, I was seated between 2 good-size guys in the back row, but had no trouble seeing out. On the airplanes, I've sat in aisle seats many times - same thing, no trouble seeing out. In fact an aisle seat is a blessing in disguise as you can see out both sides of the airplane.

I would recommend booking your arrangements by phone and clearly specifying your situation (nature of the occasion, importance of having a good seat). Papillon's direct # is 702-736-7243. If you pay the extra $$$ for a front/window seat, chances are extremely good you will not get moved, BUT remember it's always safety first.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter and plane seating - Papillon

You do not pay the $50 for the front seat upgrade in advance, but rather on site when it has been confirmed that you will actually get the upgrade (after they have done all the weight/balance calculations)

If you book through Papillon you might as well use this discount code for 5% off:

scvb

3. Re: Helicopter and plane seating - Papillon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:17