We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maswik Lodge

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Topic
Maswik Lodge

We have a cabin rented at Maswik Lodge in August.... but now I am worried because I have read some of the comments here.. It seems nobody likes to stay at Maswik...so what I wanted to know is, what is wrong with it? Thank you for your help!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
496 reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maswik Lodge

The cabins in particular are a little old, dark and small. They're only open during the summer because they don't have very good heat, plus they're not well insulated. I lived in one for a summer when I worked at the Grand Canyon and it was alright, did the job. As for "no one liking to stay at Maswik," that's really not the case. It's not far from the rim (1/4 mile) and facilities are basic but adequate. The important thing is being inside the park. That said though you might try occasionally to upgrade to something a little better by calling Xanterra periodically. 888-297-2757 or 303-297-2757 Just avoid calling on the first of the month as that's when they open up Phantom Ranch and Mule Rides for the following year and phone lines are insane. They do have a particular queue for mule ride queries, but some people will attempt to "game the system" by pressing a button for a different queue.

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maswik Lodge

Thank you for your info! :)

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maswik Lodge

They didn't have anything open that is next to the rim, so she upgraded us to the north section that has air conditioning.. Is that better then the cabins? Thank you for your help!

NH
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maswik Lodge

My husband and I just sayed in a Maswik south room- the price was right under 100 nite. The room was fine, mostly clean, could have used a new shower curtain. We enjoyed staying in the park and that's the important part. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Edited: 26 April 2012, 16:15
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maswik Lodge

The only objection I had to Maswick was that our south-facing, non-A/C room heated up so much during the day that at 9 p.m., it was still too hot to sleep in, even with the fans on (and I'm used to 90+ temps with humidity in the South). So I'd happily stay in Maswick again in mid-summer with a room with A/C. Parking is easier than at the rim hotels, and Maswick is away from the crowds at the rim. If you don't mind a short walk to the rim, it should be fine. I've stayed in most of the hotels at the Grand Canyon and actually liked Maswick except for the problem with heat at night in July (and it wasn't unseasonably warm--just that the room got sun all day); some others who've stayed in Maswick have had the same problem.

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maswik Lodge

Thank you!! :)

When I called to upgrade from cabins to the north section I was told that there are hardly any rooms left in the park at all!! I am very glad that we are in the park and I am even more glad that we have a/c...lol... How did you like the Grand Canyon? We will be there two nights with two little boys, do you think we will find enough to do? we want to see the visitor center and hike into the canyon (some of the way...we wouldn't make it the whole way! I just started running and I can only run a mile and Florida is flat, but hopefully by August i will be able to run a couple of miles!)... what else do you think we should do when we are there? Thank you so much for your help!

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maswik Lodge

vcv,

I am from Orlando, but I now live in South Florida, so I can relate to the humidity.... We got upgraded to the north and she told me that they have a/c, so I'm grateful that I called!! Thanks to all of the wonderful people here at trip advisor....I would be lost otherwise!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maswik Lodge

If your boys are the right ages, have them participate in a junior ranger program; there's information in the little newspaper you'll get at the entrance or on the official Grand Canyon website. Also your family might enjoy the IMAX film on the Canyon shown in Tusayan (the town just outside of the park). In the summer there's a free shuttle from the Visitor Center into Tusayan if you prefer to park your car and use the shuttle busses; and there's also a shuttle (with several on/off stops for rim views) along the West Rim.

Oh, and by the way, you can catch the shuttle at Maswick and ride to the rim area if you don't want to walk--but walking will likely be quicker.

I hope you're satisfied with Maswick; have a great time at the Grand Canyon.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 16:50
Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maswik Lodge

Thank you!! I'm sure it will be ok....we aren't picky at all...I was just mostly worried about the no a/c thing... I don't know if it's the same there, but when a room here has no a/c it tends to stink and be very stuffy... also, my husband likes the room cold when he sleeps, so I don't want a cranky husband....lol...

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maswik Lodge

@cbressler1976 - open the windows at night, average nighttime temps at the canyon are in the low 50's. Plus August is monsoon season so an afternoon thunderstorm might roll through and cool things off a bit.