We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

Hello all,

We( family of four with two teens) will be arriving late in the day (in early July but not the 4th) from Sedona to the GCNP so. rim. For that first day we plan to just see the sunset and walk around the rim, before having dinner at El trovar.

The next morning, we have a helicopter flight planned for 9 am and then most of the day after to just hang out... no real plans other than to see what we can. We may try to hike on Bright Angel trail even if to just the first stop to just see what we can and hike a bit around.

We will need to drive that late afternoon to Lake Powell ( we have a few days planned there so later arrival is ok) however, is driving later in the day a good idea? No sure of the roads/ highways we need to take. We could leave after sunset to experience that again...maybe, just a thought....

Looking up sunset times -- it is around 7:30 pm

Oh~ any great places for dinner (moderately priced) along the way?

thank you for any advice.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

Recommend leaving while it's still daylight. Artificial lighting is kept to a minimum in this part of the country, so when it gets dark, it gets really REALLY dark. Safety is definitely a concern; deer, elk and other wildlife are notoriously nocturnal and hitting one while it's pitch black outside wouldn't be fun. Another consideration is that you can do a lot of sightseeing at the Grand Canyon on the way to Page and it would be a shame to miss the opportunity that's so readily available.

The route from Grand Canyon to Page is pretty straightforward: take Highway 64 East to Cameron, then Highway 89 to Page (map ->: http://g.co/maps/m3qug ). On the section of Highway 64 between Grand Canyon Village and Desert View Point there are over half a dozen named overlooks of the Grand Canyon, all different and beautiful and worth a stop. Upon exiting the park at Desert View, you would then be on Navajo Indian Tribal Land. There are some viewpoints you can stop at in this area too; the Little Colorado River Overlook does require a nominal entrance fee.

For dinner, plan on stopping at the Cameron Trading Post just 1 mile North of the junction of Highways 64 & 89. It's a cool place, a real Old West Trading Post dating back to 1915. It's since been expanded upon (and yes, made more touristy), but it still has a nice assortment of better quality Native American crafts, such as Navajo rugs, Hopi Kachinas, pottery, jewelry, baskets, etc. The restaurant there serves a very well-known dish called the Navajo Taco. Forward to the 2:15 mark on this video to see what those look like ->: http://youtu.be/xKny53fmUGM (and note the lady saying "wow!"). Fair warning: if you're just moderately hungry, order the "mini." The "regular" is huge!

The from Cameron you'd just head North on Highway 89. You might even try to time yourself to arrive at the Horseshoe Bend Overlook around sunset. HBO is at mile marker 575 just South of Page. Photo ->: http://bit.ly/J8jOvD If you were to drive straight through, the trip from Grand Canyon South Rim to Page is about 2.5 hours, but with all the scenery, attractions, etc., plus the potential stop at Cameron, you can easily stretch that out into a leisurely afternoon.

Hope that helps - have fun!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

You'll want to allow about 2 hours to drive the first 20 miles along the east rim to Desert View. Stop at the significant view points along the way. You'll see much more of the canyon than you will ave already from the GCVillage area and west road. Don't miss Lipan Point, my favorite, and Desert View Tower. DVT is a good 30-45 minute stop to walk up the tower and say goodbye to the Grand Canyon.

Exit the park at the east gate and in 30 minutes you'll be at Cameron. Stop there at the trading post for a fun and delicious meal.

When you leave Cameron it will be another 90 minutes or so to Page. It will be very scenic as you drive along the Painted Desert and approach the Vermillion Cliffs, up through the cut and then begin to see Lake Powell in the distance. You definitely want to do this complete drive in daylight. Late daylight will be fine as the evening sun will light up the world you'll be seeing for the first time. But do plan to be in Page well before darkness falls. .

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

Thank you for your quick reply...

It all sounds great (and I like how it can be done leisurely without us missing the opportunity to see some of the Grand Canyon.... plus Horseshoe Bend was on my list)

I can save our hiking energy for when we arrive to Bryce & Zion.

and I love the idea of working in a little shopping ;-)

thank you again for your time & help

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

Hi Redrox,

Thank you for your help! this is perfect information to go along with the first poster.

One last question(s)...

We will do the flight at 9, for about 45 minutes... back to check out I would say around 11-ish...noon at So. rim park hotel. & grab a bite to eat... and get our bearings

if we were to leave around 1:30 does this sound about right? first part is two hours like you said... (I am a photo nut so is this enough time?) love the tower idea.. etc... everything of what you both said really...

so... adding up the hours.. we will arrive at Page, (lake powell) around 8pm should we leave earlier, or are your times padded for a sight see-er? Sunset is around that time (or shortly before)... Is this a pretty easy route.. meaning do I need to set aside.. "getting lost" times? (I gave us about 1.5 hours in Cameron for eating and shopping)

I have traveled enough to know.. nothing ever goes exactly to plan.. things always take longer (& cost more) than you think and things will always come up to detour us. But, I still try LOL.

thank you again

Kindest regards,

Viv

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

The route is simple. The views and distractions are many. Take your time. Arrive at Cameron hungry. The food is good and the servings are huge.

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

That's great...

Thank you again for your help... and I'm looking forward to the taco! :)

7. Re: best driving time to leave for Lk Powell from GCNP south rim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:17