We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toroweap point

belgium
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
toroweap point

Hi everyone,

we are staying at the North rim and after a morning hike we would like to drive to toroweap point. We have the afternoon till evening for this. Can it be done in an afternoon, the only (guided) tours I could find take a day. We are staying at The Grand Canyon Lodge. Any idea which road to take?

Many thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toroweap point

Are you driving a rental ? You may be violating the contract driving the road in ...carracar

belgium
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toroweap point

yes, we rented a jeep liberty with national

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toroweap point

I was going to ask that very question myself, but carracar beat me to the punch. Most rental car contracts prohibit off-road driving, which is what the drive to Toroweap is. The road is unpaved but fairly well-graded for the first 60 (?) miles or so, then after you pass the ranger station, it gets hairy - lots of ruts, boulders, obstacles that could potentially flatten a tire. You would be held liable for any damage you do to the vehicle while attempting to navigate this road. In fact, one of the auto repair shops in nearby Kanab UT does a very brisk business fixing tires that have "survived" the drive to Toroweap.

As for the timing of it, I'd recommend giving it a full day especially coming from/going back to Grand Canyon Lodge. Map ->: http://goo.gl/maps/Oap5 A group of us TripAdvisor folks did the trip to Toroweap back in October and we set out from Kanab in the morning (around 8ish if memory serves) and got back around dinnertime. We probably could have made it back a bit earlier, but one of our vehicles did get a flat tire. Fortunately we were in a "convoy" who were well-prepared with a portable pump, etc. and we still had plenty of daylight. Wouldn't have wanted to manage that situation in the dark, that's for sure.

Long story short, the guided tours take a full day for a reason: you need it! Plus Toroweap is so beautiful, you certainly wouldn't want to rush a trip out there anyway. If you decide to go with a guided tour, Dreamland Safari Tours offers packages out of Kanab UT to Toroweap with various upgrade options available ->: dreamlandtours.net/day-tours/…

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: toroweap point

The most used route is from just outside of Fredonia, AZ. It is a 60 mile dirt road (one way). In perfect weather, the first 30-40 mi is dusty but not too bad. The rest gets rougher as you get closer to Toroweap. The last 5 or so mi are very rough and rocky. If the weather isn't perfect, don't try it. Best case, 3 hours, one way. As carracar said, don't try it in a rental. Or in a regular sedan. It's a beautiful overlook, but it takes some planning and work to get there. Remember, it's very remote.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toroweap point

I've never been there but I do know about it. Toroweap is not at the North Rim area. It is a long way from there, about 140 miles all the way from the lodge to the rim. The tours take a day because that's how long it takes to go there and back. I doubt that you could drive there in one afternoon.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toroweap point

If you decide to go , you should allow more than an afternoon.It takes a while to get out there.Kbot was right with the times we left and got back.

I've been out there twice,coming in from Fredonia.If its dry you should be fine. If its wet, don't go.

Be sure the car has a spare tire and the tools to change it. Also a good idea to bring a tire repair kit (and know how to use it) and an air compressor.

Here are a few pics.

https:/…Toroweap

belgium
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toroweap point

Thanks to all for your responce. Maybe we'll try it when we are in Kanab instead of in Grand Canyon. I'll check with the rental company about policy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,620 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toroweap point

We did it as a full day trip from Kanab. Trying to do it from the NR park lodge in an afternoon is out of the question. And going there in a rented Jeep Liberty is a really bad idea. One out of five cars will break down somewhere along the road. Our five car caravan kept the statistic in tact. Fortunately we had four cars as a back up.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,499 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: toroweap point

IF you do this....going from Kanab would be the better option!

It is a dirt road that is graded occasionally which in turn....turns over rocks thus exposing the "sharper" side of the rock which in turn puncture's your tires....trust me on this....DH and myself were the statistic on this drive!!

You can however check with a local company that will rent you an off-road vehicle for the day which would be the better option: http://www.utah.com/offroad/rentals/

Enjoy....it's a beautiful place!!

SJG

10. Re: toroweap point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:17