We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pet friendly grand canyon

mesa az
Level Contributor
72 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
pet friendly grand canyon

We're visiting the Grand Canyon in two weeks, with two young

grandchildren and a small dog. Where can we bring the dog

inside the park?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

You can bring the dog on the rim path and to the east rim view points. The pet must be on a leash at all times. No access on park shuttles or buses. No pets on inner canyon trails below the rim.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,442 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

Pets are also restricted from any buildings at GCNP unless it is an assistance pet.

If you plan to stay overnight at GCNP, it's probably best to kennel the dog in Mesa as there are few choices at or near GCNP. There's only 1 pet-friendly hotel in Tusayan outside the park, and rooms where pets are allowed are also smoking rooms.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

I too will be bringing a small dog with me to the Grand Canyon. Can you explain the bus/shuttle issue? Can I park my car inside of GCNP? Due to the time we will arrive day kenneling may not be an option.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

Grand Canyon Village and the various stops along the east rim allow dogs on the rim trail as said. To get to the west end of the trail - such as Hermits Rest, you need to take the shuttle. The shuttle does not allow dogs on it, so you are restricted to Grand Canyon Village and all the stops along the east rim. Just on the main rim trails and overlooks.

The only hotel in Tusayan that accepts dogs is Red Feather Lodge. You need to make reservations ASAP.

little falls, mn
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

We plan to stay at Red Feather Lodge with our dog this summer. They did tell me that dogs are not allowed to stay in the rooms unattended. I have plans to call and make a reservation at the kennel, I believe it is in the Grand Canyon Village, for day boarding to be able to take the shuttle. We will take her with us on the east rim. We use our remote start a lot when traveling with Storm. We know it is unsafe to keep her in the car for very long and so we keep the car running for a period to keep her cool. Now, you do have to realize we are not hikers so we are not away from the car for long periods.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

I love my dogs and would never (even with a remote start) leave them in a car! Temps can get to lethal levels in a matter of minutes.

peta.org/issues/…dog-hot-car.aspx

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

Please do not leave your dog in car at all. Very dangerous. The kennel does require a record of your dogs shots.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

We took our dogs with us at the end of April. The walked around with us at Desert View and got lots of love from the other tourists, they also walked with us at the Tusayan Ruins. We were lucky to be there on a cool overcast day and they were able to stay in the car at a few of the viewing areas. Many of the parking areas are so close to the viewing spots that your car will be easily within sight. We knew that we wouldn't be able to hike below the rim with them, but frankly it was an amazing experience nevertheless. We packed a picnic and had lunch in the forest, took the dogs for a walk and just enjoyed the calm.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

Leaving a dog in the car, even with the engine and AC on is illegal in AZ and could land you in jail. Don't do it.

The pet friendly rooms at Red Feather are also the smoking rooms. If you have issues, you'll be disappointed.

The advice to kennel the dog in Mesa for the day is a good one. Unfortunately the GCNP is not a pet friendly place. I'm a dog owner and pet lover. But when I go there, I leave the dogs behind when I can.

little falls, mn
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pet friendly grand canyon

Thank you for the info about the Arizona laws. That is not the case in all states and it does make a difference in the choices we may make. Unfortunately leaving the dog at home is not an option. We have made do for the past 15 years traveling with our companions, and will make changes as needed. Did not mean for this discussion to get off the OP main topic. Sorry.