We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

8 posts
Save Topic
NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Hi all. I am coming to LV for 3 nights and thought to leave for 1 night to GC. Or is there a lot more stuf to do and 2 nights is better? Any advise on where to stay? Has to be clean and closest to GC. It's or first time so I hope for it to be great! Thank you so much in advance!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Definitely spend a night at the GC!!! - if you can still get a vacancy there at a rim lodge - if not, you'll most likely get a room in Tusayan right outside the south gate of the GCNP. A second night could be spent at Page/Lake Powell - getting there you'd drive across the GCNP south rim amd get to see all the different viewpoints. Page offers Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend - and loads more if you have the time.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 23:55
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Definitely stay inside the park, if at all possible. You can check for availability here:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

El Tovar, Kachina, Thunderbird, and Bright Angel are on the rim. Maswick is hear the rim lodges, but about 1/4 mile from the rim. Yavapai is further from the others and probably 3/4 mile from the rim. If nothing is showing as available, keep checking at least twice a day and call the 800 number every morning, maybe mid-morning. There are usually cancellations. But, as esty666 said, you could always book something in Tusayan -- as a back-up plan -- and keep trying for in-park lodging.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Thank you so much to you both! So helpful. Any yummy restaurants to try? Is there stuff todo around besides seein GC? That way we could stay 2 nights. We r bringing our 5 year old. Anything he could enjoy? Thank you thank you.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

As far as restaurants go at the GC, the one at El Tovar is best (dinner reservations required), followed by the Arizona Room (no reservations), then the Bright Angel restaurant, which might be best for families with small children. You can see the menus under "dining", in the link I previously provided.

For a second night, I would suggest heading down to Sedona. There is so much to see and do there. At the GC, there is the GC, nothing more really needed.

8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Mike, thank you so much! I appreciate all the advise. Will check out Sedona now. All sounds great to me!

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

OMG! i just looked up the temperature in end of july begin of august and average is 94-104! Are we going to totally bake? We dont usually tan :) Is it going to be totally unbearable? I have never experienced such heat.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Don't fear the weather. Temperatures will be warm, but absent humidity it won't feel oppressive. And you'll be traveling during the monsoon, so brief and violent afternoon thunderstorms are a possibility. Those can be very refreshing.

Keep your expectations low for dining around GCNP. Food there is designed to satisfy needs, and nothing more. You'll find fun and finer options in Flagstaff or Sedona if you choose to visit those destinations.

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Oh boy, now looks like heat is not an issue but you threw a word "monsoon" in there and for us, city people, thats just a total unknown fact. :) I am kind of scared now! I just imagined us in the middle of the desert in a "violent" monsoon and of course the car gets stuck. I am about to switch to a Caribbean vacation. hahaha :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Don't fear the word monsoon either. Look it up. It involves a shift in normal wind patterns and the result is the possibility of late afternoon thunder showers. The storms are compact, brief and fast moving. They rarely last more than a few minutes. The scariest part is the potential for flash flooding from the run off of the extreme amount of rain that can fall so quickly.

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC to LV to GC, need help please!

Ok, now I don't worry about monsoons but flood does sound scary. Are there a month when they don't happen? Or when none of those possible extreme weather conditions occur. I like to stay out of trouble, especially while bringing our kid with us :) thank you!