We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

NewJersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

This is my 1st post on this forum, so please bare with me. I have been planning on & off for the past year our upcoming "Grand Canyon Trip." It will consist of 4 of us, myself, my husband, daughter (15) and son (11). I realize it may be a little ambitious, but I'm willing to give it a whirl.

My main concerns: Can we do what I've planned and the heat. We always go to Disney World every year and usually the same time of the year, so we are used to vacationing in excessive heat and being out and doing things. We have our backpack cooler and plan to have tons of water to keep it filled.

Please give me your thoughts on if you think I have over-extended ourselves on this trip...

Friday, 8/24 - Fly into Phoenix, spending the night at the Embassy Suites. We arrive in the afternoon and have purchased tickets to the Diamondbacks gave (son will love & it's a surprise.) Since we have to eat dinner, we thought that we get a table at the TGI Fridays and watch as much of the game that we can.

Sat 8/25 & Sun 8/26 - Drive to Sedona and staying for 2 nights. On the Sunday, we have rented a Jeep from Barlow for 24 hrs. I definitely want to go to Devil's Bridge Trail while we have the Jeep. I know our kids want to go to Slid Rock Park one of the 2 days. We're open to other trails as well and sites. I have a list of things, but we'll get to what we get to.

I currently have a reservation at the Best Western Plus Arroyo Roble Hotel with a Red Rock View and I also have a reservation at the Hilton Sedona Resort & Spa. I'm torn about which to go with. I'm thinking that the Best Western, since it is in town, will have more for us and the kids to do. I believe the Hilton is more out on it's own. Although Best Western is slightly more expensive, it does include breakfast, so I think it balances out in the end. So basically price is no deciding factor.

Mon, 8/27 - it's off to the Grand Canyon. We have a reservation at the Thuderbird Lodge. Open to suggestions for what to do here. We are not avid hikers, but I do want to do some trails. We can go a long time walking, but we usually on walk flat surfaces, nothing crazy.

Tues, 8/28 & Wed, 8/29 - driving up to Page. I think on Tues, we want to go tour the Glen Canyon dam and go to the Horseshoe bend. Wed. morning we are scheduled for the Hummer Tour to the Secret Canyon. That will take the whole morning and then leave the afternoon for whatever. I would love to fit the Rainbow Bridge trip in here somewhere while we're in Page, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost and then just fitting it in time-wise.

Thurs, 8/30 - driving to Zion. I just got us a room at the Zion Lodge. We were originally going to drive up to Bryce and only briefly stop at Zion on the 31st, but then I thought I could cut out Bryce and just go to Zion and maybe cut down a little on the driving. I also got us a reservation for dinner at the Red Rock Grill for Thursday as well. I really would like to do the Emerald Pools Trail. Also, I'm an early riser, unlike the rest of my family, and would like to be able to step outside in the morning on my own and just walk around and take everything in.

Fri, 8/31 - drive to LV. We are not staying on the strip, just at an Embassy Suites. I wouldn't mind cutting out the whole LV stop, and my husband gave me the ok, but I can' see being able to cut it out when what I want to do the next day is over toward that area.. I don't know if we will take in a show, if we do it will probably be a Cirque show or just take in the people show on the streets. The latter would be much cheaper!

Sat, 9/1 - on our way back to Phoenix. I want to drive by the Hoover Dam, but not tour it. This is why I want to tour the Glen Canyon Dam, basically doing this instead of the Hoover. I was to head back to Phoenix driving through Oatman, definitely stopping in Oatman, then driving Sitgreaves Pass to Kingman then onto Phoenix from there. This is mainly a driving day with stops involved. If I didn't want to go to Oatman and drive Sitgreaves pass so bad, I'd give up the LV night and try to re-arrange our trip. We are staying the night at the Embassy Suites and then we fly home at 8am on Sun, 9/2 morning.

Again, am I being too ambitious? I have things we want to do and other things we'd like to do, but if we don't that's ok, but if we have time, it will keep us busy. I'm also trying to keep our driving to about 3-4 hrs at a clip, with the exception of the last day, where I know the driving will be longer than that.

Please feel free to comment on my itinerary. I haven't really bounced it off of anyone who has been there before, so any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

It is ambitious, but possible. I'd skip LV in favor of Bryce. Hoover Dam will be no more impressive than Glen Canyon Dam. and I'd much rather drive back to PHX via 89 or 89A. You have a perfect opportunity to do both legs of the loop between Vemillion Cliffs and Kanab. Oatman is fun, but not as much as Marble Canyon and the rest of the AZ sights between Page and Sedona.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

Your sons will like Best Western better as it is right on the creek. Its also located around shops

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

Oatman is kind of neat...but not enough to go that far out of your way in my opinion. There are other drives/roads that you can take that would be comparable to Sitgreaves pass I think, that are already close to your route.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

To be in Las Vegas or not to be. That's the question. Maybe ask the kids what they want. You easily can drive back from Zion via us89A and Flagstaff with enough places to see. I just name Best Friends Animal Society, Coral Pink Sanddunes SP and Frontier Movie town in Kanab, LeFevre Overlook on the grand staircases, Jacob Lake, House Rock Valley, Marble Canyon, Lees ferry, Navajo Bridges, Wupatki and Sunset Crater NMs, Walnut Canyon NM, the Flagstaff attractions and Montezuma Castle and Well.

I love Oatman and always drive through if I can but it also is a detour between Las Vegas and Phx.

Tet

NewJersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

Thank you for all of the great information. I'm going to check out some of the places that Tet mentioned and see if anything catches my eye.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

<<I would love to fit the Rainbow Bridge trip in here somewhere while we're in Page, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost and then just fitting it in time-wise.>> Rainbow Bridge unfortunately isn't just a matter of hopping in the car for a quickie road trip. It's a long way uplake (50 miles each way) so getting there isn't cheap no matter how you go about it.

If you really really really want to see Rainbow Bridge, yet don't have time for the boat tour, another way to see it is to fly over it. Westwind Air Service and Grand Canyon Airlines both offer 30-minute fixed wing airplane flights out of the Page Municipal Airport. Flights don't land at the bridge, but do provide a rather novel and exciting way to get a sense of just how big and complex Lake Powell is. GCA's flight presently runs $135 per adult and $115 per child if you book online in advance. Info ->: http://bit.ly/xeKVcI Best time to fly is morning for best light and least wind.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 21:40
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

When you do the Hummer tour you can't do Rainbow Bridghe on the same day. Rainbow Bridge is basically awesome and absolutely unique - well worth seeing - but you'd need an extra day.

On the Hummer day you could still go and see Lower Antelope Canyon (the kids would also love this, ikt's a bit 'adventurous') - which is absolutely spectacular.

If at all possible, you should definitely include Bryce - it's just SO special, and it's not much out of the way when you go to Zion anyway.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 16:34
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

I'm of the same mind as RedRox.

As much as I personally like Las Vegas, it's too hot in August and not in the same league as Bryce and Zion, imo. That said, if you're going to make the stop, stay on the Strip. That's the whole point of being in Las Vegas. Choose something like MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay or the recently renovated Flamingo for the best pool complex. (Smartervegas.com for discount codes.)

9. Re: Upcoming August Trip... (Sedona, GCNP, Page, Zion & LV)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:42