We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

Milford, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Topic
Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

I am amazed at the knowledge this group has and have been reading up on many (if not all!) the top questions and forum posts.

My husband and I are planning a trip from Connecticut to the Grand Canyon and are trying to determine the best way to map out our adventure. We are flying into Vegas on a Friday, check out on Sunday morning and have flights booked back to Connecticut Saturday around 12:30 leaving from Vegas.

We have a car booked and ready to go! Ideally we would love to see the Grand Canyon (South and possibly North Rims?), Bryce and Zion for some light hiking and to take in the views. We even toyed with the idea of passing through Sedona but think it might be tight. We have a room booked at the Bryce Lodge on Thursday and would like to keep it but unfortunately that is the only room they have open all week!

We will be celebrating our one year wedding anniversary (we got married during Hurricane Irene here on the East Coast last August!) and really looking forward to our trip out west. Thank you in advance for your guidance and expertise!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

HI

Congrats on your anniversary!

With the night booked on thursday in Bryce I'd do:

Sun: Las Vegas-Grand Canyon NP (bookings are essential www.grandcanyonlodges.com If no availabiliy call them for cancellation 888 297 2757 Also lodging in Tusayan at the south entrance of the NP www.tusayanhotels.com

Mon: GCNP

Tue: GCNP to Page

Wed: Page

Thu: page-Bryce

Fri: Bryce-Zion

Sat: very early start for Las Vegas. It's a three hours drive from Zion to Las Vegas but you'll gain one hour between Utah and Nevada

You can add Sedona in this trip..

Sun: Las Vegas-Sedona

Mon: Sedona. To GC late in the afternoon but before dark.

Tue: GCNP

Wed: Page

Thu: Bryce

Fridag: Zion

Or even spend 2 nights in Sedona, one at GC, one in Page etc.

I'd skip north rim in this trip.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

Tet gives good advice. He knows all the roads. I'll add that doing both north and south rims of the GCNP is too much for your one week. And as much as they are different, it would be redundant. Better to see the other parks for the variety.

Milford, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

Thank you Tet for the schedule! The first one sounds great! We really value the amount of time we spend in each location over seeing ALL locations. Im honestly not familiar to know if things will feel rushed with including Page into the mix. My hubby is interested in Page because I believe a previous post explained that is the best place to go rafting which he is

Interested in. I may be more in the Zion camp but need to do more research on both! We will be a happy couple if in fact we can do it all :)

Thank you for your time!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

You will be passing thuorgh Page in any case between the south rim GC and Bryce/Zion. And Antelope Canyon is really a place not to be missed, as well as Horseshoe Bend. And the smooth-water float trip is really a special experience.

To give you an impression:

http://youtu.be/fWHpjuHX__w

http://youtu.be/WbWmIhwyEKY

GC south rim, Page, Zion and Bryce and easily fit into your week without excess driving in between.

Happy anniversary.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 06:01
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

It's a smooth riverraft indeed but unforgettable www.raftthecanyon.com In summer there are 2 rafts. Early in the morning and early in the afternoon. When hot I'd take the morning raft.

Milford, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

All excellent suggestions and we’re going to book Page! I was viewing the links when I woke up at 6am and wished so bad I was there at that exact moment! The rafting trip looks out of this world and we are going to book the 7am time slot. Does anyone has suggestions for places to stay that are clean and convenient to the Colorado River Discovery location? We would also like to visit Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon. The Rainbow Bridge National Monument sounds like a sight to see but I believe that can only be accessed by boat, correct?

Once in Zion we would like to see the hanging gardens but our time there will be limited to a half a day (coming in from Page, and have to leave to go back to Vegas the following early AM.) What would you consider the single thing to do there for half a day? I have not explored this last leg of our journey yet so any guidance on places to stay is welcome too!

I appreciate your help and look forward to booking some of these things once I get home from work tonight!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

Rainbow Bridge is accessed by boat or a very long hike.Its about 50 miles uplake, so the tours will take up most of a day.

www.lakepowell.com

On the way into Zion from Page, stop at Canyon Overlook, just east of the tunnel. Its a short hike to the viewpoint.

Angels Landing and the Narrows are the two must do hikes. If you have issues with heights and drops, take the Angels trail as far as Scouts Lookout.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 20:13
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

There are quite a lot of hotels/motels in Page. I personally have stayed at Quality Inn and Days Inn and have enjoyed them both! They were both very well staffed and clean!

Neither one is in town but really not far at all!!

SJG

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

I've stayed at the Super 8, and that's nice and clean.

Rainbow Bridge is awesome, but it takes a half-day boat tour.

At Zion, if you don't want to hike, you can just tour the main valley on the free shuttle bus and get out at the different stops.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas, GC, Bryce and Zion Loop

I've stayed at the Super 8, and that's nice and clean.

Rainbow Bridge is awesome, but it takes a half-day boat tour.

At Zion, if you don't want to hike, you can just tour the main valley on the free shuttle bus and get out at the different stops.