We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in October - next year!!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in October - next year!!

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can point me in the right direction. I'm planning a surprise trip for my girlfriends 30th next year.

My plan so far is to fly London to LAX and take in the sights of Hollywood etc before driving through and staying over the night in Death Valley on day 3/4.

Thereafter drive to Vegas and stay there, again mainly tourist bits but she would love to see the Grand Canyon. Having read your threads I'd love to know your thoughts.

Hire a car and drive in or take a tour in from Vegas? Dates are late October (24th onwards) and could stay a night or two with some tweaking to my current plan.

Total holiday is probably 7/8 nights but Could stretch this slightly depending on cost.

Would ideally like the Grand Canyon visit to be one of the big highlights of the trip and maybe ask a certain question whilst I'm there.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Richard

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

{{{clap clap clap clap}}} That's us applauding you for going about your Grand Canyon vacation planning the right way: starting well in advance!

On to your specific queries:

1. <<Hire a car and drive in or take a tour in from Vegas?>> Definitely hire a car and drive to the Grand Canyon, and that's Grand Canyon South Rim, NOT Grand Canyon West. Grand Canyon South Rim is rightfully considered to be the "true" Grand Canyon. The best views are there, as are more abundant visitor services (hotels, restaurants, etc.)

2. <<Dates are late October (24th onwards) and could stay a night or two>> Since the drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim takes 4.5 hours each way, try and stay 2 nights so you can have some time to relax.

3. <<Would ideally like the Grand Canyon visit to be one of the big highlights of the trip and maybe ask a certain question whilst I'm there>> :) For something that special, definitely try to stay inside the park, and if at all humanly possible, the El Tovar Hotel. That's the old "Grande Dame" of Grand Canyon park hotels and it's a really special place. But - it's booked to the rafters usually a full year out. They'll open up reservations for October 2013 on October 1st of this year, and if you want one of the nicer rooms, i.e., a suite, call the 1st of the month. From the UK it is a toll call, to 303-297-2757 (Denver Colorado, Mountain Time zone) Visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com to see pictures of all the park properties. If the El Tovar is full, or isn't your thing, a cabin at Bright Angel Lodge would be very memorable too. Video re: Grand Canyon park hotels ->: http://youtu.be/y2_YbePEsR0

4. <<Total holiday is probably 7/8 nights but Could stretch this slightly depending on cost.>> I would say count on spending at 2 nights tops at the Grand Canyon. If you're looking for other cool places to visit around here, there's a lot of them, such as Page/Lake Powell, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon to name a few. If you can't visit them this time around, I guarantee you'll want to come back and do so!

Hope that helps you get started. One more thing: Grand Canyon South Rim is 7,000' above sea level, so nights will be getting cold round the end of October. Bring a jacket, possibly a light pair of gloves for that sunset stroll.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 19:43
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Wow, thank you for such a swift response. Looking at your suggestions now. Time for a re-think on the LA plans and duration there!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

It's a great time of year for Death Valley NP and you easily can spend 2 nights there. Stargazing is superb in DVNP. Already can take 6 hours to get there from Los Angeles. From GC back to Los Angeles can take up to 9 hours. So if you can extend you trip to those wonderful places.

Avoid visiting Las Vegas in the weekend. More expensive then.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

I would hire a car and do 2 nights in Vegas for the tourist stuff. Amongst that tourist stuff like the Bellagio fountains you might want to look at the rides at the top of the Stratosphere Tower. They are quite something!

I would do 2 nights in GCNP if you can but in any case at least one night. you could find yourself a spot as the sun goes down to pop the question. There are lots.

Whilst you could stay over in Death Valley you could also do it as a day trip from Vegas or you could do it on the way to Vegas from LA.

I would definitely do Death Valley too because it is just as amazing as the Grand Canyon is. The rock formations are unique, the salt flats at Badwater are beautiful, other places like Dantes View, Zabriskie Point etc - all worth visiting.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Hi,

Weather in October in the Grand Canyon I've seen the words snow and closed. Is this likely to cause problems on the South Rim?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,770 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

South Rim is always open. North Rim closes mid October. Snow is possible at SR in Oct, but not ikely. Book your lodging there early though. Reservations for Oct 2013 will open on Oct 1, 2012.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

There's no better place for "asking the question" than at the rim of Grand Canyon National Park! Better place than on top of Stratosphere tower -lol-

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

It's a great idea though as there are so many places on the rim where the question could be asked.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 10:41
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Just finding the right one I guess.

The train between Flagstaff and Grand Canyon and El Tavor looks interesting. Worth looking at or use the car and stop as and when?

I've added two extra days so far. One in DVNP and one in Vegas, so much to do.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,770 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Skip the trains. The only one that goes to the GCNP departs from Williams. Starting in Flagstaff would take all day or longer. There are no views of the canyon from the train at all. It doesn't even come close.

Drive a car to save time and money and have better options for getting around inside the park.