We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in October - next year!!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in October - next year!!

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can point me in the right direction. I'm planning a surprise trip for my girlfriends 30th next year.

My plan so far is to fly London to LAX and take in the sights of Hollywood etc before driving through and staying over the night in Death Valley on day 3/4.

Thereafter drive to Vegas and stay there, again mainly tourist bits but she would love to see the Grand Canyon. Having read your threads I'd love to know your thoughts.

Hire a car and drive in or take a tour in from Vegas? Dates are late October (24th onwards) and could stay a night or two with some tweaking to my current plan.

Total holiday is probably 7/8 nights but Could stretch this slightly depending on cost.

Would ideally like the Grand Canyon visit to be one of the big highlights of the trip and maybe ask a certain question whilst I'm there.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Richard

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,425 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

DTF gives excellent advice. Nail your plans and reservations in the parks and outlying areas. Those are the places that will book up well in advance. You can start making reservations for them on Oct 1st. I agree that you're shorting Zion.

LV has no appeal to me. Many travelers who do a well planned tour such as the one you are contemplating, come back and report that they wish they had planned less time for LV and focused more on the parks.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Thanks DTF and RedRox, given me something to ponder regarding Zion vs LV and priority of bookings.

Will hold fire on Las Vegas plans for the time being. I've checked my T&Cs with Virgin and can cancel without cost the NYNY booking. I've emailed them as well to get the ball rolling on that front.

Still think I'd like to do the fly in and then spend the following day there before heading out early on the third day to GCNP. I don't see any other areas to cut on the trip to fit two days in Zion in.

She's mentioned in the past how she would love to see the Grand Canyon and DV so they are a must. Zion does look really special having done some further research.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Never mind... posted response on the wrong thread!

Edited: 16 August 2012, 22:17
Sedona, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
44. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

With visiting the Grand Canyhon South Rim in October, 2013 you should surely include a drive and stay over night in Sedona, AZ. I guarantee you will be so happy that you did! Sedona has an elevation of 4500 ft and October is a delightful month to visit with sunny days, cooling evenings, spectacular sunsets framing the landscapes of astonishing red rock formations. It is the Grand Canyon but up close and approachable with over 200 hiking and biking trails on all levels of endurance, art galleries, boutiques, memorable dining experiences and adventurous sight seeing jeep tours and a relaxing sightseeing trolley ride is also availlabale. Drive Route 89A South from Flagstaff through the Oak Creek Canyon with camera in hand. The canyon is amazing. Enter Sedona Uptown and continue to Rte. 179S which will take you to gallery row and then unto the Village of Oak Creek. This six mile drive will offer again some of the most beautiful picture book landscapes that you will ever see. Entering the Village you wil see Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte on the left. There are pull offs for photo shooting all along this lovely highway. Rte 179S continues and intersects with Interstate 17S which continues to Phoenix and the Interntional Sky Harbor Airport. Take my word, you will love Sedona. Most visitors don't want to leave.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,425 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Welcome to the forums Shirley. Your input is welcome, but probably more appropriate on more recent posts and current threads. This one is almost 6 months old and pertains more to the GCNP.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Just to clarify -- Sedona is *not* the Grand Canyon.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Hi everyone,

I can't believe a whole year has passed and more since I first spoke to you all about visiting the US.

We'll be visiting now in just over a month and I really can't wait. Thank you for all your help and advice, I'll make sure we both write up one amazing (probably very long) review of the whole trip.

Thanks again

Richard

P.S - Any last minute tips appreciated - I'll be heading through "the gap" to get to Page whilst the highway remains closed. Hopefully that's the best route.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

Yes, that's the best route via The Gap. It's all signposted. Have a great trip. And á tripreport is appreciateted!

49. Re: Visiting in October - next year!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:21