We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

Just a concern how we can see the Grand Canyon easily with 2 senior citizens and a baby. We will need an easy walk within Grand Canyon. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

When is your trip? How long will you be there?

GCNP South Rim has 3 basic areas. Look at the maps online and the park web site in general. You never need to walk "within" the canyon. The rim paths are flat.

nps.gov/grca

In the central GC Village area the rim lodges, visitor center, art studio and gift shops are all within a 1/2 mile. One could concentrate on the area around Bright Angel Lodge at the rim and have less walking than that. It would be possible to visit El Tovar Lodge, the Visitor Center and gift shop by parking in the lot just across the drive from El Tovar; may take some waiting. There are also free shuttles in the central GC Village area.

On the fringe of the village area, when first arriving in the park, is Mather Point overlook, another visitor center and bookstore. I would recommend skipping Mather Point as it is usually very crowded. However visit nearby Yavapai Point as there is parking there and usually not as crowded.

The west area to Hermits Rest is reached by a free shuttle which leaves from near Bright Angel Lodge. It is best to go out in this area before 10 AM as tour buses and day trippers begin arriving 10-11 AM. To avoid long walks, stop only at the overlooks where the shuttle also has pickup stops, It stops at 9 overlooks going west (counting Hermits Rest) but only 3 between there and the village on return.

The east rim area can be visited in your own vehicle, and only short walks needed except at Desert View. At Desert View the parking is some distance from the attractions, but there is a drop-off area that is close.

If the senior citizens have a handicapped hang tag for a car, take it with you.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

Thank you so much!

We will be going in mid-September.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

Bob B has given you excellent suggestions.

We have gone with both my husbands mother and our granddaughter in a stroller at the same time and didn't have any problem. The rim trail is flat and easy for a stroller and a wheelchair. What we did a couple times was to get grandma situated on a nice rocker on the porch at El Tovar while we went into Hopi House or took some pictures nearby. She enjoyed sitting there watching all the people coming and going. It's also comfy to sit inside the El Tovar.

At Dessert View, not to be missed, we would drop everyone off and then go park the car and it was easier for both grandma and our daughter.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

How old is the baby, and will you have a stroller or backpack?

How old and how mobile are the seniors?

It is difficult to make suggestions without knowing more specifics. "Senior citizen" can mean anything from people like us who happily hike to the bottom of the canyon, to wheel-chair bound, and everything in between.

The one thing I can suggest is that you take precautions for heat and intense sun, particularly for the baby. Use a hat and sunscreen, and offer frequent drinks of water.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

Thank you everyone for your recs!!!

My parents have arthritis so walking for too long will worsen the pain. They can handle a simple walk for a short amount of time. The baby is 18 months old and will have a stroller. We will have a backpack full of water and snacks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

You will find the rim path very user friendly for the seniors and the toddler.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

Thank you!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

I would agree with the Rim Trail with one overall footnote. That is to be aware that you're already at a considerable elevation. One one trip my father in law (in his 60's and quite fit) did experience a few light headed/dizzy spells. We took him on the Rim Trail and he ended up having to break off from the group to rest.

I'm not saying you'll have these problems but it's just a cautionary note to remind you that you are already some 7000ft up.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

That is what I hear. We will most likely make use of the shuttles.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon for senior citizens and baby

One of the really nice things about the rim path is the number of benches and walls. Walkers can become sitters almost instantly. And the views from your seat are equally as stunning as they are from your feet.