We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
RV parks near or in the Grand Canyon Park

I will be travelling to the Grand Canyon in Sept driving a truck and 5th wheel trailer. Is there any RV parks near or around the south rim. What about the North Rim? I see their are numerous tour trips, which is the best to take it all in? I see they have an all day trip in a mimi van, is it worth it or just do our own thing rather then being tied to a tour . as first timer's to the Grand Canyon, any suggestion would be helpful. thanks.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV parks near or in the Grand Canyon Park

Yes there are campgrounds at both the South and North Rims!

At South Rim there is Mather (www.recreation.gov) with no hook-ups and Trailer Village with full hook-ups 303-297-2757

At North Rim the campground there has no hook-up! 1-877-444-6777 or online at http://www.recreation.gov

Both parks are very easy to self tour and very easy to get around! No need for tours that will cost you $$. Save the money and spend it on something else!!

www.nps.gov/grca is a great website loaded with info on the parks

SJG

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV parks near or in the Grand Canyon Park

Sounds like it's your first visit to the Grand Canyon, yes? If so, I would recommend concentrating on the South Rim. It has the most up-to-date visitor services, including an RV park with full hook-ups, plus it has the largest viewing area of the Grand Canyon where you can take in those "iconic" picture postcard views. The views from the North Rim are pretty, don't get me wrong about that, but the viewing area there is MUCH smaller than that of the South Rim, plus the visitor services there are fewer in number and much more basic (as in no hook-ups at local RV parks).

As for touring the Grand Canyon, SJG is correct in that Grand Canyon National Park, particularly the South Rim, is a very easy park to self-tour. The majority of in-park roads are open to private vehicles; the Hermit's Rest/West Rim Drive isn't, but has free shuttles that go around to the viewpoints every 10-15 minutes.

Where you might find a tour comes in handy is to get you to areas outside the Grand Canyon where you might not be inclined to drive to. Tours such as the Glen Canyon Day Float Trip, 1-Day White Water Raft Trip, Inner Canyon Jeep Tours are examples of these kinds of tours. There's also airplane and helicopter tours from Grand Canyon National Park Airport (GCN) at the South Rim. Read this for more information on this particular issue (to tour or not to tour Grand Canyon) ->: http://bit.ly/QcKvfD

Hope that helps.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,449 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV parks near or in the Grand Canyon Park

How long will you be at the Grand Canyon? Where will you be coming from? The South Rim and North Rim are 5 hours apart. For first-time visitors, the South Rim is the best, and is likely easier to reach depending on where you are coming from.

If you are only going to be there a few days, I do not recommend taking any tours that take you away from the park, which all the tours mentioned above do for a full day, with the exception of airplane and helicopter tours which fly over the canyon and operate from GC Airport just outside the park.

4. Re: RV parks near or in the Grand Canyon Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...